Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electrical blues

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Rusty68, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Rusty68

Rusty68 1/2 ton status

I am having some issues I cannot figure out on my 78 gmc. When I turn on the head lights my gauges go weird. The volt gauge goes bottomed out to the negative, my temp gauge maxes out, as does my fuel gauge. If I move the dimmer switch the gauges move with it. I cleaned all the connections for the head lights as well as there ground wires and no change. I am lost on what to do. Could a bad light switch be causing all this? Any help would be great before I just take the truck to the dump. S.O.S!!!

2. Rusty68

Rusty68 1/2 ton status

Just a little up date, I tore my truck to bits trying everything. I sanded every connection replaced every switch altenator etc. Finaly it was working good. So i go to leave for a test drive. Pulled the ebrake lever and poof, my dash lights go out and my gauges go off the hook. WTF????? I push the ebrake on and they all return. Well it appears that there is a little ground wire for the whole dash power grounding threw the ebrake bracket. I knew this as I had cleaned it already. Turns out there was corrosion between the bracket and the body. Tightened down the bracket bolts and all is well again. I swear, somtimes I think this truck is gonna give me grey hair, but down the road it still goes. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

my vote is to re-wire, sounds like you have some pretty crossed up wires /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif