Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electrical distribution block question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by utchev, Jun 21, 2005.

1. utchev

utchev Registered Member

Background: '89 Suburban K1500 wiring harness, TBI 350/700, D60/14 bolt etc. getting swapped into a YJ (you know, a Jeep item that'll think it's a K30)....... This swap seems incredibly easy until I've gotten to this particular point. If I remember correctly, there is some kind of fusible link that goes from the electrical distribution block to the starter. The distribution block I have from the K1500 does NOT have a a 'bridge' from post to post as I've seen others have (on my tow rig, an '89 K2500 Sub--kinda nice to have a full working model for the swap).

Oh, and thanks for any help!

Question(s):

1) What gauge of wire is the fusible link from the distribution block to the starter?

2) Do I need the 'bridge' piece and if so, where can I get it (I've thought of running an inline fuse, but don't know where to even start with a 'safe' amperage) and what is it actually called?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Check the garage the post I just made about codes/wiring info. There's a link to Autozone's online wiring manuals, hopefully that can help you out.

As I understand the *older* truck wiring, the wires from the starter run up to the distribution block, and are fusible linked from there to the fuse panel. I checked the '86 wiring manual I have, I couldn't find where it showed how that block is wired.

3. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I replaced the fusible links on both my Blazers with 60 amp circuit breakers. That way if I do ever have a short, they reset automaticly. No problems even with A/C running.

4. utchev

utchev Registered Member

Checking....... got a link or other reference? (this one? http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141717 )

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Here ya go

I was going to name the link "wiring guides", but as I backed up from the original link I found posted, I realized the site has more than just wiring diagrams.