Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electrical drain questions...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ben Malinski, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Ben Malinski

Ben Malinski Guest

I'd appreciate it if someone can guide me on how to find a drain on the system. Battery is new but if the truck sits a few days, I need a jump. What's the procedure to see if I do have a drain? Test light to the positive terminal or negative? Then what? Thanks!

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Get an ampmeter (or is it ammeter?). Most decent multimeters have this capability already.

With the vehicle off, you pull the batt cable, (+ I think) and use the meter between the battery and the cable end. There is a certain threshold of drain that is acceptable (millivolts with just a digital clock/presets drawing power)

If you have more draw than acceptable, you pull fuses until the drain disappears. That narrows it down to one "area", and from there, you just figure out whats causing it from those wires.

Of course any additional components such as amps and what not left on, will cause a fairly good drain.

3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    you pull the batt cable, (+ I think) and use the meter between the battery and the cable end. There is a certain threshold of drain that is acceptable (millivolts with just a digital clock/presets drawing power)

[/ QUOTE ]
    You can pull the positive or the negative. I usually pull the neg. I think the most draw you should have IIRC is 32 milliamps. I pull less than 20 without a drain on mine.

Do a search for battery drain or my posts. I had one I chased for a long time (had a 200 milliamp draw). I finally just put in a battery disconnect, so I could continue searching without draining the battery overnight.

4. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

Also go with the simple things like cleaning the posts and what not.
    My dad's junk had the same problem. It turned out to be the alternator.

5. Ben Malinski

Ben Malinski Guest

Thanks All!