Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

electrical drain....test...how...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ben, Jul 11, 2004.

1. Ben

Ben Registered Member

Can anyone out there give me step by step instructions on how to test for a drain?
    I used to know but it's been YEARS and I have forgotten how!
    My 84 has a drain. Left it sitting for a few weeks. The clock and lights were working but not enough power to fire the engine up. Battery is NEW and so is the alternator. Still, I want to trace the drain. Guide me through please. As well tracing where the drain is coming from. I recall using a test light hooked up to the battery and start pulling fuses??
    Thank you!

2. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Put a meter on the battery,and check the voltage.Then start pulling fuses one by one.

Pull a fuse then check the reading on the meter at the battery.If the voltage increases the drain on the battery is gone and you have found the circiut where the drain is located.

Remember...only pull one fuse at a time.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Ugh, I never do this so I can't remember the correct wire. I believe the correct test is to pull the negative battery cable, and put an ampmeter between it and the cable.

Then pull fuses and look for the reading to drop.

Don't forget, interior lights (pull them if you will have the door open) and radio will both be draining the battery, (if digital radio of course) but the radio draws almost nothing.