Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

electrical fire.. help!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by wraenking, Jan 14, 2005.

1. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

holy smokes, thank god i was home. i have a turtle enclosure in my garage that i run the pump, a couple of heaters, heat lamp, and a flor light. my buddy happened to be looking at the zip strip, and it caught fire???

its been set up like that for a year and a half. any suggestions why it just happened? or could it just be the zip strip went bad???

thanks

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

don't be frying them there turtles! :shocked:

hope you didn't have that fancy new welder hooked up to it... :wink1: sounds like it may have just had too much juice running thru it... buy a quality one when ya replace it...

couldn't take work off huh? :tongue1:

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

What was the total Amp load on it? You need to be sure the power strip, outlet and house wiring is rated higher than the load.

4. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

Loose wire or wires. To many amps. Loose wires cause the amps to go up and cause heat that turns into a fire. Make sure you check around and feel the cords that go to different things and the outlets that have alot pluged up to them if they are warm then they may be next. Check this everynow and then especially with all the heater use now. People don't do maintenance around the house like they should and check things. Listen to the firemen give the kids safety lessons.