Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electrical Gremlin no starter no accessories

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by gpnjuice, Sep 3, 2006.

1. gpnjuice

gpnjuice Registered Member

So I need some help. (searched and searched)

My wifes Blazer left us stranded a while back with the starter just going click click click... So I replaced the starter with another. It started fine for a few days and then ka-put. Now no power to the starter at all and no windows/radio etc... But things like the lights work. As well as the dome light.

For the better part of the last 24 hours I have done the following:

Checked all the fusible links. (All are good)
    Have power from the power junction (on all 4 wires beyond the fusible links)
    there is power to the two red wires going into the bulkhead junction (and two pins are hot)

Going inside things got tricky:
    I was leaning towards the ignition switch and when under the dash I found a bunch of old starter/alarm stuff left behind. I spent the majority of time cleaning up all of this mess. :doah:

I tracked down the two red wires going to the ignition and they are not hot (they should be should they) Anyways is there a way to test the ignition switch to see if that is it? Or any other ideas.

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

What year blazer is it? Sounds to me like the fusible link from the starter to the junction terminal on the firewall. Check to see if you have power at the junction terminal and if not then blown fusible link between it and the starter. Pretty sure you will have everything else that doesn't run or is controlled from the ignition switch.

3. gpnjuice

gpnjuice Registered Member

Thanks! That is exactly what it ended up being. I tested and retested. Finally after I had the dash apart and everything tested good there, I went back to the engine compartment and found that link bad late last night. A quick trip to get some fusible link and wire and 10 minute fix this morning!

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Glad i could help. :thumb:

5. bnc04

bnc04 Guest

Hmm I may be experiencing something similar. Where is that fusible link ? ( starter to junction block) in an 88 blazer.. I'm out of town this weekend and my wifes uncle will be looking at it today so if I can point him in the right area it would be helful.
    Thanks

6. trikstark5

trikstark5 1/2 ton status

There is one by the starter and one by the firewall near the power terminal connection.

7. bnc04

bnc04 Guest

I think my issue ended up being the purple fuseable link to the starter solinoid was flaking out. Rewired it and 2 weeks working as expected so far. This was a year old gremlin that cropped up intermittantly, Hopefully it's dead now.
    Thanks!!!
    Brett