Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electrical Gremlins Be gone....forever!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RustBuket, Aug 14, 2006.

1. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

So I was just thinkin today that I'm gonna make my truck into an offroad only machine. Its not gonna be wheeled in the dark so lights aren't really a problem. It will not see street so no signals or w/e else and there is no sound system. All I want is the simplest electrical system I can get.

Push button start, thats it.

What all does a chevy HEI engine need to run? It needs one hot wire to the disty, a main line to the starter, as well as one for the solenoid activation on switch. What do each of the wires on the alternator do?

Basically what I want to know is what is the simplest wiring scheme to make a chevy v-8 run.

I wiring diagram would be perrrrfect but I can deal with explanations!

Thanks for all your help and/or suggestions.

2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

What, no CB?

3. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

No CB. I basically want to get it to run first then I'm gonna add onto the electrical system as I get the main part working.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

alternator wires..

The 2 wires on the alternator plug supply 12V to the stator and regulator so it will charge..the red wire on the plug can be looped backto the thick red wire on the stud at the rear of the alternator (which is "hot" all the time)--the other wire,usually brown or white,needs to be wired to the ignition, so its "hot" only when the key is "on"..

You'll need to use a #194 marker light bulb or a 10 ohm resistor inline with the brown or white wire,to make the alternator charge properly..if you wire it to 12V directly without any resistance,it'll put out unlimited voltage!--the faster the engine goes,the higher the voltage will go!..and "POOF" goes your lights and other stuff!(and eventually the alternator itself!)..:crazy:

5. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Alright, so that covers the alternator how about the starter? Just switched power wire to the solenoid and one one main power line to the actual starter motor?

P.S. Sorry to dig up an old thread. I've been gone for work for pretty much a month!

6. diesel4me

starter button..

All you need to activate the starter is a push button switch,one wire goes to the + battery terminal,and the other to the thick purple wire on the solenoid..(one thats marked "S" on the solenoid)..

I've by-passed the ignition on a few trucks I owned,the switches were bad on the "crank" position,and I was too lazy to change them!..makes a good anti-theft device,if the push button is hidden under the dash..had to turn the key "on",then push the button to crank it over..:crazy:

7. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

As for the HEI, it only needs one 12V + correct?

8. diesel4me

yup...

One wire to the HEI,a thick red or pink one delivers 12V to it..thats all it needs,along with a ground from engine block to firewall,and it'll have spark..:crazy:

9. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Well thx alot diesel. You sure helped alot!

10. diesel4me

no problem!..

Your welcome!!...:D