Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

electrical gremlins

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ressurection, Sep 10, 2001.

1. Ressurection

Ressurection 1/2 ton status

How do I go about tracing a short? I have no more signals and my front marker and signal lights light up when I press the brake pedal. HELP!!!

"High compression engines take longer to start!"

2. BluThndr71JMMY

BluThndr71JMMY 1/2 ton status

You need a multimeter and a schematic diagram. Chase down the lines one by one. Chevy's easy -- all bright colors and clearly marked in the wiring diagram. Check all your bulbs for continuity, check all your sockets for 12 volts good. Sometimes something simple like a turn signal switch shorting out or bad contacts to the brights hi/lo switch can cause a complex gripe like you describe. Look for broken, rat-chewed, or burned out lines.Disconnects, Misconnects? Keep after it. Good luck.

3. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Another way to isolate the problem is go to your fuse box and pull one fuse out at a time until the problem stops. That will give a little better idea on where to start maybe. With the problem you described there you may want to check the trailer plug if you have one, it may be a short across a couple of pinched wires. Mine did that same thing but my headlights would glow a little as well (kind of creapy looking). When I pulled my fuel tank and cleaned and relined it the trailer cord got into one of my hangers unbeknownst to me and shorted across my brake/turn signal and the tail light wire.
    john

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)

4. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

if you find a pest control system for these gremlins let me know I need about a gallon of it for my rig too

Like em big and topless
    Excuse me...Would you mind removing your from import under my chevy?

5. Ressurection

Ressurection 1/2 ton status

Gremlins are gone!(?) Well, after removing the instrument cluster and fuse block, and not finding any freyed, burned, cut, etc. wires went and replaced both fuses in the engine bay (one by the battery and the other in the same area-drivers side), and voila! my horn even works (didn't before!). Do those fuses have a major role in the whole electrical system? I put in 3 amp short fuses and they burned out right away. I now have 20A regular length. Is this a bad thing? Thanks for your replies!

"High compression engines take longer to start!"

6. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

yea they are a major part, I believe they are supposed to be 4A if i remember right

Like em big and topless
    Excuse me...Would you mind removing your import from under my chevy?

7. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

What do those fuses go to? I haven't found any in the engine compartment yet. Only fuseable links.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

8. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

off the top of my head I don't remember, I think one goes to the lights and other stuff, probably power to the dash I would assume. check down by where the voltage regulator is, in that area, some people have probably took them out over the years.

Like em big and topless
    Excuse me...Would you mind removing your import from under my chevy?

9. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

I don't have any fuses in my engine compartment other than the ones in the box I installed. Like Triaged, I only have a couple of fusible links in my engine compartment. Maybe this is a difference in early vs. late Blazers/trucks?

10. BluThndr71JMMY

BluThndr71JMMY 1/2 ton status

I've got those little 4 A fuses in the corners between the radiator support and fenders on a '67 KE/10 suburban and a '71 Jimmy -- both have Deluxe guages. The same fuses are not present on my '68 CS/10 pickup -- standard guages (w/idiot lights). I think they are related to your ammeter circuit and connect the alternator (neg) to that indicator, The other side comes from the Batt/Starter (pos) side and the two inputs activate the ammeter to indicate Charging (+) or Discharging (-) states. I found the line diagrammed in my _'67 Chevy Chassis Service Manual_ for 1/2. 3/4 and 1-ton trucks. I think it's the Black 18 guage on passenger side and Black/White 18 on the driver's side. This is on the schematic for series CE 10-20-30 (02) trucks in the early vintage (pre-Blazer).I know from experience that replacing those fuses brought my Ammeter back on line and cured some charging gripes. <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by BluThndr71JMMY on 09/28/01 02:23 AM.</FONT></P>

11. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I found those little guys in there this weekend. I found 2, 1 on each side near the front just behind the rad support. Dang those are some small fuses. Now I am even more currious as to where they go. I guess I will have to look it up in the wiring diagram to know for sure.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>