Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electrical Gremlins

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kyle89K5, May 28, 2000.

1. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Well, after 2 weeks of trouble shooting, I've got the TBI on my Blazer back up to speed, and running like a box of mad frogs. Now on to the next problem. About 1.5 months ago, I started haveing the fuse for my guages blow. At first, it was a fuse every week or so, now, I put a fuse in, turn on the truck, turn the truck off, pull the blow fuse, cuss the truck, throw blown fuse across garage, rub scratch out of wife's car from said blown fuse, and start all over. I don't remember messing with any of the wireing dealing with the guages, but about 5 months ago I did change all the bulbs. I did unhook my cig. lighter about 3 months ago because it was shorting. Could there be something that has taken a little while to get there, or a line that could be burnt through finally? Any help, via BBS, E-mail, or coming over and helping would be greatly appreciated. I'm not much on wiring, something about electricity has alway given me the creeps. This isn't keeping me from driving, just annoyes the hell out of me when I am.

Thanks,

Kyle
    89K5

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Check around the brake pedle and parking brake and release. Moving parts in those areas may have got a hold of a wire and wore through the insulation.. Also pull up the door trim (drivers side) and check the condition of the wire for the dome lights. I had one that was pinched by the trim and was blowing fuses in my 79. I think the gages and Dome are same curcuit (might be wrong). Then pull pull the cluster back out and check the harness for any wires that may have got damaged or pinched by something when you changed the bulbs. Also have you got a clock? those things are famous for blowing fuses on the old ones like my 75 (it will kill the battery overnight if it is connected it had a sperate power wire and I could easily unplug it may be the same on yours).
    Also pull up the trim around the 4x4 shifter. wires have a habbit of getting pinched around them.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper

3. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I can think of two more things:

Maybe someone had replaced the fuse with a smaller rating one (less amps), so if you still have the fuse cover check which is the right fuse.

Maybe the new light bulbs are the brigher ones and could be using more amps. I'm not so sure if there could be such a difference in amps between the different bulbs to make you go a step higher in the fuse rating, but it's worth a try.

Good luck.

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]