Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electrical help ( Eagle ??)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 6.2 man, Aug 3, 2000.

1. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a problem with charging on my Diesel ( 2 new batteries ) . My volt gauge says I'm at 13 volts . Took alternater off and had it tested , it says it's charging at 14 1/2 volts . At the cables my tester says 13 volts .So it's not my gauge . What is it ? When I took my starter off there are 2 fusible links in the two wires hooked to the solenoid . The insulation is gone so I covered them with tape . Today the gauge said I was at 14/ 1/2 volts on my way too work but as soon as turned something on , it dropped down to 13 1/2 volts and never came back up . There is power at the connectors on top . Hopefully some one can steer me in the right dir. or bypass present wiring so it will work .
    Thanks in advance

2. stephan van leir

stephan van leir 1/2 ton status

This is a very common thing with duel batteries that are wired like the ones in your diesel. I think that the gauge is showing a surface charge when it showed 14 plus volts The batteries are trying to dalance each others cell power. I run the same setup as you, and I have found that the batteries will only hold 13.78 volts MAX no matter what type of battery, even Optimas. I use a 1 1/2 amp onboard charger that tops the system to 14 volts. It is run at night all winter long. The charger cycles on for maybe 5 to 10 minutes at a time depending on out side temps. With the tester on the terimals when the charger is going I get a clean 14.1. Now as soon as it shuts off, BANG upper 13`s. This has happened with 4 sets of batteries, and 2 altenators over the course of 5 years (sub zero kills starters too, I`ve gone through 3 rebuilds) so needles to say I don`t think your readings are that far off. It`s just resistance within the system try to equilize it`s self. Please replace those fried wires though. That system of yours is a real fire breather, and she can start fires damn quick.

3. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

I would pretty much have to agree with our learned friend.
    If you are referencing the stock guage, there is the possibility it may not be that accurate, on my 86, it shows just over 13 volts while at an idle, and 14.7 when in the cruise mode...with everything off...it will go back down after a bit, but crank up the tunes or wipers or A/C and it goes back up again.

And a safety note, the fusible links are there to save your life...if they are gone, find out what made them go before doing too much else, and NEVER jump around them, Steven made a valid point...they can and will cause a fire...and we don't want you to make an ash of yourself....take care...

4. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Thanks guys for the quick response . They both sound logical . Something else is when it does come up ( factory gauge ) when I run my air on max the blower doesn't kick into high speed . It will run fast but as I drive I can watch the volts just keep dropping . What do the fusible links protect ?? Also I've checked the current going to the batteries with the gauge on a load tester and it confirms the gage readings . Even when I rev up they don't go up .
    Thanks

5. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

For the high speed on the fan...look at the fan motor under the hood, there is a ground wire under one of the bolts. If this is broken or not making good contact , the high speed will not work.