Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electrical help needed *UPDATE-problem fixed*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Muddytazz, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I'm going bald by a problem. Keep blowing a fuse when the brake pedal is pushed, but only while the engine is running. Is this sounding like a grounding issue?

2. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Re: Electrical help needed

Sounds like something is shorting out somewhere. A brake light hot wire somewhere? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

3. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

I would say so, But I don't know where to tell you to look, Maybe under the dash, it only does it when the eng. is running right? or also when the key is turned? Where have you looked so far?

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I didn't try it with just the key in the "on" position. I'll have to try that one tomorrow. So far when the engine is off and the key is sitting on the seat, brake light works perfect...but when the engine is running it pops..so i'll try with the key in the "on" position and see /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

I had one that would do something like that and what I found was a wire that was grounding out on the rear bumper mine was around where the trailer hook up goes. My other thought was a wire gournding out on your brake ped. .....Wait on second thought it would do that.

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I checked all the wires at the rear bumper and nothing is exposed and there is no trailer plug. So i'll start by looking under the dash and go from there /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Thanks

7. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

I've heard of strange sh!t, but damn...if it was jus a wire grounding out...there would not be a difference if the car was on or off...Hot wire hitting ground, POP...I'm going to get wiring diagrams...You got me wondering, I'll get back to you on this tonite...I hate being stumped on elec...my first guess would be the block coming thru the firewall. Does the blinker cause same reaction?

8. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Nope, every other light on the vehicle work perfectly whether the vehicle is running or not....its just the damn brakes that seems to not like to work lol

BTW, if your looking at wiring diagrams, its a 81 burb that i'm working on /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

OK...then that eliminates from the firewall to the tailights the same two wires fr left and right brakes operate the blinkers....its almost got to be a white wire that runsfrom your brake switch uo into the steering colum that connects to the blinker switch...still checkin

10. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

OK...heres the first thing I'd check...your brake switch should have a white wire from it to the connector under the dash for the turn signal harness...unplug that harness...one side should have a ppl, brn and wht wire...the oter a lt blue, dk bl, yellow and green...possibly a few others for cruise and whatnot....but the only three wires your conserned with is the white, from switch...green to right brake light and the yellow to left. After you unhook, start the burb and hit the brake pedal, if it does not trip the fuse...u can rule out a bad brake switch...and a few other things. Saying that u still have a good fuse, hook up a spare live 12 volt line to the yellow.(jus stick in the terminal of the yellow wire) left brake light should come on...If that does not trip...put the live wire in the green terminal, right brake light should come on...if all that works like that then you have narrowed down to either a bad terminal at the base of steering column, a short in the steering column, or a short in your blinker switch...let me know when you get that far and will do more narrowing....PM if ya need, or give a call...719-328-9287 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Very cool, i'll be trying this wednesday nite /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Thanks

12. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Ok, went over to have a lookie see at what you were talking about and found out that the brand new battery(bought Monday) was dead /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif so i put the charger on it and will have to see tomorrow /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

13. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Ok, problem has been found and fixed. This problem was happening on the burb that we did the body swap on. All the 77 frame wiring was removed and all 81 wiring was used. The 81 body had a trailer brake controller unit mounted to the dash, but when I took the 77 wiring out, i also removed the trailer plug(were needed to replace with different style anyways)but that still left the trailer brake controller box hooked-up causing a short in the brake circuit only while the ignition was in the "on" position. So I unhooked the trailer brake controller box's wires until a new trailer plug is installed. Problem solved /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

glad to hear it...