Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electrical help needed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sapper, Jun 30, 2006.

1. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Does anyone know how to run a 24 volt winch in a 12 volt truck?? TIA

2. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

run two batteries. run the truck parallel, and run the winch cables in series. That way the truck benefits from having double the amperage with only 12 volts but the winch gets 24 volts.

3. sapper

How do you do that without chancing frying the truck? I am a idiot when it comes to electricity

4. sapper

Come on guys I need a picture at least, really want to get this done. Thanks

5. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

I just realized there is one issue. I am used to working with 4 batts, with two you can run parallel or series but not both. This is what you need http://www.marinemegamall.com/mall/index.cgi?keywords=electric%3Eisolator&session_id=886488068&cart_id=965030651&list_time=1151816232&search_in_category=t&view_id=237464
    With something like this isolator you can hook batt 1 up - to ground, + to neg of batt 2. Hook batt 2 up as normal. This way nothing going to your truck is 24 volts. However now you can hook your winch + to the + on batt 2 and your winch - to batt 1 and you have 24 volts to the winch and only the winch. The reason you need to isolator is so you can charge both batteries. You can hook it up without one but I dont think your batt 1 will charge.