Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

electrical help needed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by KGsK5, Feb 4, 2007.

1. KGsK5

KGsK5 1/2 ton status

picked up and installed my new starter yesterday and now i have no power at all in my truck. nothing at all. no lights or anyhitng

i have checked the wire that runs into my fuse panel and i have nothing.

this wire should be hot?

where does this wire come from? right off the battery or from the starter?

when i installed the starter i hooked 3 wires up to it. a ground. a hot from the battery, and the ignition. should there be another wire?

in looking at my chilton manual, i found a wiring diagram, but only for a gasoline engine, it says that the hot wire to the fuse panel comes off of the starter. is this the same in a diesel? did i miss something? IIRC i only removed 3 wires when i took off the old starter.

does this make sense?

sorry for the long post but i am completely confused here.

thanks.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yep, a nice fat red wire should be attached to the same post on the starter solenoid that the battery cable is attached to. That wire supplies power to the fuse panel.

3. KGsK5

KGsK5 1/2 ton status

well i think we figured it out... dumbass me musta had a brain fart last night or something.

does anyone have the wiring diagram for an 83 6.2? i havent really been able to find one.

thanks.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I have one but..

I have no way to post the diagram I have here,but the starter curcuit is identical as a gas motor,as far as the starter itself,so your gas engine diagram is the same,you can use that..

There is no "ground" wire to the starter,maybe a strap,but not a wire,at least an all the ones I've replaced..that "ground" might actually be a power wire !..:crazy:

5. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

Make sure the purple wire is not touching the power wire stud. The power wire ring had a tooth that wraped around the stud right? I have an 83' 6.2 (1009) and that is exactly what happened to me and I found out that tooth was making contact with the purple wire and f'n everthing up. I'll post a link of the wiring for ya.

edit*
    http://brochures.slosh.com/
    Click the CUCV on the left
    scroll down and click the 289-20 manual (fourth from the bottom)
    towards the back of the manual is the diagrams.

Yes, this is for the CUCV's but I think you will find alot of info here.

Also, do you have a junction block on your firewall? I think regular 6.2's had them. If you do there should be a wire, with fusable link, from the bat to the block and on to your fuse panel. This would be your main power. If the link has blown (touching the purple wire and power on the starter) that will shut everthing down.

Also, try www.gm-diesel.com for your ansewr. It seems to be an awsome resource for diesels.