Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electrical help, not just advice, a job and an adventure....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Desert Rat, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Ok, I'm tearing my hair out trying to get all the wiring hooked up right in my 74 Blazer. Anybody in the Dublin/Fremont/Livermore/Pleasanton/Tracy area really good with auto electrical? Not just a wing it with a prayer (like me so far), but somebody who is a whiz with this stuff want to come over and earn a few bucks? Somebody who can look at the wiring, look at me, roll their eyes, and whip this thing into shape with a trip or two to the parts store? I'll throw down a few sheckels and spring for lunch if anybody can help out on an upcoming weekend in Livermore? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Shoot me a PM or an e-mail.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Trailer it up and drag it out here to Colorado! When we're finished with the wiring then we'll take it out and wheel it! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Have confidence you can do it. Get a good wiring diagram and start by removing all of the bad stuff. Any splices or extra tangles of wire have to go first. I just did this a couple of months ago. The previous owner of my truck had a thing for wire nuts like in household wiring. There is so much knowledge available on this board that anything is possible no matter how bad it is.

The key is probably to take your time and plan on tearing everything apart.

-Chris /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Yeah, I've been doing that little by little. I have the 74 shop manual and wiring diagrams, but it is so simple, I bet somebody with experience would have it dialed in asap. My 76 Blazer is another story. The PO must have had stock in a wiring company. Under the dash looks like multi-colored spaghetti....

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

You must be the proud owner of one of my old trucks! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif--I have been known to use a "few" wire nuts here,there,and everywhere!.Actually,I like them,they work rather well on autos as well as a home--after all,wires are wires,doesnt matter if they are moving or standing still.I use them mostly on the large 8 or 10 gauge wires,where you need to splice 2 or 3 together--fill the end up with RTV and it will last a long time-I usually tape the hell out of them too,in case they do loosen up--only had one or two do that in many years of using them.
    One type of connector I hate is those"scotchlocks"they always use to tap trailer hitch wires into the rear light harness--they let water in and the whole harness turns gangrene in no time.They have some new wire connectors called "Posilocks" that work very well,they screw together,and kind of work like a compession fitting for copper tubing.Kinda pricey though--wire nuts at Home Depot are only about 8 bucks for a big fishbowl of assorted sizes!. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

6. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Definitely tape the hell out of the connections like Diesel said.

None of the wirenuts in my truck had any tape on them. They were just hanging out everywhere. When I first started driving it around every once in a while a wire nut would come rolling out from underneath the dash and something would stop working. So much fun.

-Chris

7. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

nice thats always fun, my speakers in the truck were wire nutted, they would cut out over bumps /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif, not a big fan of wire nuts for cars, eaither mech splices or solder it the way to go IMHO.

8. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Ok, I'm tearing my hair out trying to get all the wiring hooked up right in my 74 Blazer. Anybody in the Dublin/Fremont/Livermore/Pleasanton/Tracy area really good with auto electrical? Not just a wing it with a prayer (like me so far), but somebody who is a whiz with this stuff want to come over and earn a few bucks? Somebody who can look at the wiring, look at me, roll their eyes, and whip this thing into shape with a trip or two to the parts store? I'll throw down a few sheckels and spring for lunch if anybody can help out on an upcoming weekend in Livermore? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Shoot me a PM or an e-mail.

[/ QUOTE ]

Id love ta help ya out man, but your a little far, go slow and do every thing right, not to hard, i did my whole truck in one weekend /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif