Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

electrical help please

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by schmuck, Feb 26, 2004.

1. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

i was wheeling last weekend and my altinator started putting out 18+ volts well i had a 2 hour drive home so i turned on the a/c and all my lights and made the drive and somewhere close to home it must have fried because when i brought it in to get a new one it was only putting out 1 volt so i went ahead and changed it that was 2 days ago. this after noon it fried again this time not putting out anything now it was an autozone altinator so it could have just been a bad one but i just went and swaped it out again and im not happy with the way the volt gauge reads its like i can see when it charges and when it doesent it never did that before, now im not poping any fuses and im not seeing the lights dim like there is a short can anyone give me any ideas to start looking for problems /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

to give you a little back ground i have dual batteries hooked up in parallel and not much else in they way of electrical add ons

and the second time it fried i could watch the gauge and it started chargeing for a few minutes about halfway through the ride home

im not worried about it to much at the moment but if i burn up another one in the next few days i will be concerned so im just trying to get ahead of the game

thanks in advance

2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Have you checked the batteries to make sure they're in good shape? If you have plates on the inside that are damaged or intermittantly touchin that could be givin you those wacky readings. Just a thought. Good luck to ya.

Allan

3. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

i think they are both maintenence(sp?) free so i cant look in them but do you think that could burn up an altinator?

4. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i think they are both maintenence(sp?) free so i cant look in them but do you think that could burn up an altinator?

[/ QUOTE ]

Very easily. Also check your grounds, check your connections at the battery, Get a dvom and check your redaings at the battery and at the alternator with the truck running. Do they match the guage. IF I dont like what me guage tells me I just flick it till it goes up .

5. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I was out on the last run that his most recent one fried on...with a voltage meter hooked up it read almost tick for tick the voltage his guage was getting up to damn near 18 volts(scary)....we could at times get it to idle normal around 13-14 volts but the second you'd get into the gas say about 1500 rpm's it'd climb steady 15->16->17+ /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

I've never seen one act normal on idle and just spike like that. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

the readings match

7. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Given that the altenator has an internal voltage regulator, the problem must be wire related (given both batteries are OK- try running just one for a couple of days?) High voltage output is an indication that the altenator is getting a weak (low voltage signal) from the batteries. A broken + lead, poor ground, or corroded terminals all could contribute to this problem. I would personally rule out the batteries first by carefully checking each (bring into a parts store for a check if need be). Then start checking all of the wiring. Whatever method you used to connect two batteries would be the first wires I would check. If a + lead was shorting to the chassis, it would cause this sort of problem... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

ok i went and checked

without the truck running
    12.4 at both batteries
    12.3 at altinator
    12.4 at both batteries with them disconected

with truck running
    14.6at altinator
    14.4at closest battery
    14.3at farthest battery

it all looked ok to me

9. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

Just on a whim, use some sand paper to clean up where ever the alternator touchs the bracket and where ever the bracket touches the block. A poor ground at the alternator will lead to over charging.

10. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Those numbers, while running, look fine, maybe a slight bit low. If your problem is a high voltage situation its looking more and more like a short on the + circuit.