Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

electrical help....rear brake light will not work I am missing something

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84CUCV, Mar 18, 2003.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

It is on my fathers 86 M1031 w/ a maintenance body with a very large alternator. I have checked everything I can think of from the fuse block back and know luck. The switch is good, the right fuses are in there. There is parking lights, but there is know power on the other side of the socket. what the heck I am I missing? I am trying to get this ready for him so he can start driving it. Spent a lot of time on this with no luck. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Thanks for the help Mike

2. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

Check the electrical switch up by the brake pedal. when you apply pressure on the brake pedal the electrical switch I think pushes in and makes a electrical connection witch makes brake light's work. check the switch and the connector and make shure it is in good working order. Hope this helps
    Colin

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Close. Button (on the switch) out means the lights should be on.

Button rests against the brake pedal "arm" when the brakes are not being applied.

4. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

Re: electrical help....rear brake light will not work I am missing someth

the brake light power goes from the pedal switch to the turn signal switch and then to the tail lights. Start at the pedal switch see if you have power there, and follow it back, check any connectors to be sure they are fully seated.
    Do both rear turn signals work, if they work it's a strong chance the turn signal switch is at fault, the brake and turn lights use the same wire and bulb filament, if the turn signal works that means it's ok, the turn signal switch cancels the brake light when the turn signal is on.Sometimes the switch fails and you lose one or both brake lights, it could be the turn signal switch connector on the steering column also.

5. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Re: electrical help....rear brake light will not work I am missing someth

The switch is good and there is turn signals. Thanks for the help Mike