Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electrical help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BozoWise, Jan 5, 2006.

1. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I started gutting the wiring in the bucket today as I cut into the dash for the cage. Does anyone know what wiring is "required" for a 79 K5 to run. I have about removed anything factory over the buildup period.

I am going to replace all the wiring but ONLY need the minimum. I am going to run a aluminum dash with a minimum of gauges, none of them factory, so I think it would be easier to rewire everything instead of splicing factory. Just planning on a tach,water temp, oil pressure and trans temp guage. I already have dual batteries in the rear to a shutoff switch and then a distribution block from there to run electic fans and accessories so really the only thing I currently have on the factory system is the ignition switch and starter. The starter will be wired to a switched power push button on the dash and I am installing an aftermarket fuse panel/relay board in the dash. I have a no factory lights.

So long story short what wiring is need to get a 400sbc carbed and a th350 to come alive?

2. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    The only thing "needed" is switched power to the coil or HEI and switched power to the starter.
    So basically power to your ign. switch circuit is all that's "needed".

3. maynardogle

maynardogle 1/2 ton status

Well...you need to hook up the alternator to the battery, and if you have an external regulator (I can't remember when they went all nternal). If you go with a "one wire" alternator it gets real simple. Are you installing an amps guage or a voltmeter. A voltmeter is on my list of "bare minimum" guages.

4. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Yup I think I am going with

Water temp, oil pressure, Voltage, Trans temp