Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

electrical help?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by amm888, Aug 4, 2002.

1. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

i recently took off my door lining thing on the passenger door, and now i can't get my dome lights to go off when i close the doors and my alarm doesn't seem to understand that the door is closed either?

the truck was redone with power windows/locks (the locks don't work) and there is a mess of taped-up, flayed, misc wires in there...

what i'm concerned about is the dome lights and alarm, any suggestions?

thanks
    alex

2. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

I would replace the door pin...

3. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

i assume that's the little pin that the door pushes in when it's closed...i've been pushing that by hand w/out any luck in getting the dome light to go out...i'm about to take it out and have a look

4. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

the door pin looks fine to me...and besides, i hadn't messed with the pin, just some circuitry in the door that has to do with the power windows and locks.

5. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

The door pins can look fine And still move fine but they go bad fast and the alarm will think the door is closed (when it is open) the dome light is wired with the door pin as is the alarm's
    And you have power going to the lights just not shutting off so the swicth is a cheap fix...mike

6. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

i pulled both the door pins out and they both look fine...i'll take a harder look at them now - hopefully it's that simple of a fix...but i think it's a bit too much of a coincidence that all this happens right after messing with the power locks/windows wires in the passenger door (oh yeah, and my power window control on the driver's door no longer opens/closes the window on the passenger door / and the power window control on the passenger door no longer closes its window (still opens fine (all the window stuff worked fine yesterday!)) - and this is all after simply pulling the passenger door lining off and hardly touching any of the wires!)

7. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

sounds to me like the jamb switches are not wired up right (or not at all)

8. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

what are jamb switches?

9. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

It's probably one of the door switches. They have a habit of mysteriously going bad. The way they work is amazing, you'd think they'd break the first time you used them.

You can test them by simply removing them and isolating the wire that goes to them. There is a huge plug that the wire goes through to get in the pillar. I think the wires are white. It's been a couple years since I've had to chase after one.

The dome light switches on the ground side. That means if you managed to cut/pinch a wire so it gets ground your lights will come on. It's a pretty ingenius design because it minimizes the number of wires you need to have.

10. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Al,

Ground is white, power on dome lights is orange. Most alarms are wired so that they activate when a door is open, so probably one of the alarm wires is tied into the dome light wires. If you look under your dash up by the drivers side panel, you should see some wire tied into the white or the orange. On stock wiring, nothing is tied in there.

If your dome lights stay on, with the alarm tied in, it would obviously kick in too.

I got a new switch at NAPA, but I imagine you can get them at Pep Boys.

I do suspect that the wires to the power windows and the dome lights may be shorting out against each other, or the power switch itself is going bad, and playing around in there did it in. Remember when we went to look at it that we had to fiddle around with the switch to get the pass side window up. Frankly, I'd lose all that power cr*p and go back to manual. Less hassle.

If you can't figure this stuff out, bring it over, I have meters and test lights and wiring diagrams. We can sort it out.

11. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

I LIKE MY POWER! ...but i think you're right...and besides, whoever wired this truck up seemed to have done a really flim-sham job on it. i've been pulling out all the wire in the passenger door - disconnected the power window...but i'm still getting the dome lights...

i'm gonna go look under the dash, but there's a big black heating duct thing in the way!

i'll go see what i can do....

12. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

LOL! Yes, I know you like your power! Just can't get enough!

Uh, yea, there is that pesky heater duct. It's a PITA to remove. I know, I've done it 4 times. I'm leaving it out til all my new wiring stuff is in. With no AC, it really doesn't matter that it's in there anyway.

You may be able to contort yourself enough to see up there around it.

My guess is that your problem is inside the door area, so don't pull the heater duct until you've eliminated that first. You can assume that the alarm is tied into the orange or white, for now.

You're problem could be in either door. The circuit for those dome lights runs thru both.

Check the door switches first, it's the easiest to eliminate. Then move on to shorts.

I'm off to Pep Boys to get some stuff. I'll check the board when I get back.

13. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

jamb switches: the switches on the door jamb to turn off your dome lights

get a Haynes manual if you don't have one - the wiring diagerams in the back sure come in handy