Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electrical issue

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by buddiesel, Apr 7, 2004.

1. buddiesel

buddiesel Registered Member

This question is about an old motorcycle I own but I figure it requires general vehicle knowledge. I have the bike running good but there is an electrical short somewhere that I can’t find. If I leave the battery connected it will drain to 2 volts in an hour or so. Alternator works, battery is good, it even starts up if I try right after riding it, but if I leave it for more then 20 min the battery loses the power to start the bike. I figure somewhere a wire is draining juice to the frame. Any one know of tricks to find where the problem is? I just thought of pulling each fuse individually then checking to see if the battery still drains, that should tell me where the drain is right? Also is there any way I can tell that I fixed the problem without hooking up the battery and seeing if it is draining? I am getting sick of recharging the battery every time I think I fixed the problem. I have a multimeter.

Thanks

2. Ronnie4wd

Ronnie4wd 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

What is good to you ,is it new? Pull one wire from the battery or all the fuses first,is it still draining get a new battery.

3. Ronnie4wd

Ronnie4wd 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sorry I didn´t read your post that good.If it only drains when the battery is connected pull the fuses one by one would be my way to go too.And hook up the multimeter at the same time.

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Sure fire approach is to get an ammeter (or multimeter that reads at least 10A). Connect it in series with your battery and start disconnecting stuff.