Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electrical issue

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bnc04, Sep 20, 2004.

1. bnc04

bnc04 Guest

Hi, My 88 has developed an electrical issue. The battery and Alt have tested out fine. The volt meter while running is in the 9-10 volt range. ( it used to be 11 or 12) It drops to 8 when I use the power windows. It seems to fluctuate a little higher and lower while driving. Sometimes when I apply the brakes the radio will stop playing for 5 seconds ( cd or radio) both do it. The windows go up and down pretty slowly and the idle seems to surge ever so slightly now. Where should I begin to look? Checking the grounds I will do this afternoon. Anything else? Thanks in advance,
    Brett

2. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

My 90 K-5 does something like that too, I have a new 200 amp Alt and when I run the AC and fan on high the volt meter drop's down to like 10 volts. You'ed think that with a 200 amp Alt that wouldn't happen.

Dan..

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

If the batt and alt are truly good then I would say start checking connections. You got something loose or corroded somewhere.

4. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

When your truck is running it should be in the 12-15 volts range. I would check you ground wires, they may be corroded or dirty. A battery is approx 12.6volts so if ur battery isn't that when you go to start it i would say the battery is the culprit.

Later

5. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

I'll second that! Check/replace the ground leads.

6. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

use a bigger gauge wire running from your alt to your battery to let the juice flow back to the battery better. Helped for me.

Remington

7. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

The alternator test you did is obviously not right. A passing score would include 14-15 volts when the engine is running. Take it to a shop and they will put a load on the system to test the alternator and battery.