Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electrical Issues

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 82_k5, Aug 9, 2006.

1. 82_k5

82_k5 Registered Member

I know this isn't a Blazer but I'm pretty sure the wiring is exactly the same. I have an 81 Camaro and when I was cranking it to start this morning it just quit. All the lights and guages don't light up and the starter doesn't turn. I think I burned up a wire or a fuse somewhere. If anyone knows anything about what could cause the problem, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Fusible link, perhaps?

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Only one wire "tells" the starter to turn over with the key. (often purple) If it won't turn over, either the starter solenoid isn't getting the signal to crank, the starter itself is bad, or the battery/cable is bad or not connected well.

Give all the wiring a good visual first, you may see something cooked or pinched, bare, etc.

If you lost lights and all, I'd make sure your battery cables are ok first, then check for power at the fuse panel. If no power there, check continuity on the red wires from the starter to the fuse panel. Should be fusible links, if they blow, no power to any of the accessories. Since you don't have crank OR accessories, I'd bet your fuse panel doesn't have voltage.

4. AKbigsub

AKbigsub 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Start simple and ensure that the battery terminals are not coroded and are making a good connection.