Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electrical...Light Socket to Outlet.??

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 90blzr, Mar 23, 2005.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Can I change this:
    http://community.webshots.com/photo/229342021/229887093HkfpPe

Into a recepticle? Maybe a 4 plug outlet to plug my flourescent fixtures into? There are two of these light sockets in the garage that are controlled by the switch, so it would be nice to be able to switch it over fairly cheap/easy to be used as a regular outlet. Two 60 watt regular light bulbs for some reason do not give off enough light to work in the garage:dunno: :eek1: :rotfl:

If it can be done....what do I need to buy? and how much are we talking?

Thanks!

2. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Sure, it can be done no problem.
    You will need:

• New 2 gang metal box $5ish
    • 2 duplex receptacles $5ish
    • 1' of romex tops, for connecting one recept to the other in the box $2ish
    As long as you are only running lights, the circuit size will not be an issue. But do not be tempted to plug in power tools etc. to these. Wiring is likely to be 14gauge (15amp circuit) for lights instead of the common 20amp (12 ga wiring) outlet circuits.

John

3. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

4. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Sweet thanks guys. Back to home depot I go.

And as far as the breakers go...there is only one in the garage right now.:eek1: :eek1: One 30amp for EVERYTHING. Lights, washer, dryer, outlets, etc. :crazy:

The previous tenant decided to take the rest of the breakers when leaving:crazy:

Working on getting everything put onto seperate circuits soon. I just want to get my lights hung for now and was hoping putting plugs in for them was something I could do myself.

Rewiring/adding breakers to seperate sections is something I am awaiting help on. I am hoping its something I can do with proper advice/guidance...

5. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Another question...the term 'gang' does that refer to two outlets?

And I have 3 lights going into that need to plug into that receptacle, so four outlets are needed. Is it safe to just plug them in like that? I have two of those fixtures in the garage that operate off of a switch.

Eventually, I'd like to put another switch to control the garage lights in two halves as when just going to the washer/dryer...no need for ALL of the lights in the garage on...but I think that is more involved?

6. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

yes, gang= two duplex recepts or two switches or one of each, etc.

Shouldnt be a problem plugging them in the way you describe.

John

7. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Cool...what about runnin anothe switch on the wall as I mentioned in the above post...is that alot more involved?

And wiring up the new receptacles....will it be obvious when I pull down the fixture? Ive never messed with house electrical before:crazy:

8. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

For someone who does it all the time, it would be easy. But from the sound of your posts, it may be "more involved" for you. (not meant in a bad way):)

I would recommend a book like this, it should give you a much better idea of how to do these tasks.

Wiring the recepts shouldnt be too hard. We are all here to help.

John

9. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Yup..I'm a NEWBIE!!!:blush: :grin:

I dont mind it being involved....I just dont wanna burn the house down:grin: I like tackling new stuff, I just like to have some sort of idea of what I am doing first:grin:

They have that book at Home Depot ya think? I'll check, I gotta run over there anyways on my lunch to grab the stuff to swap the light socket to outlets

I wish I new more about electrical, its interesting stuff.

Is this book you mentioned good for newb's/beginners like myself? Something I'll be able to understand not having prior knowledge?

10. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

You'd have to run a new switched line from where you have your current switch. So basically you'll prolly have to cut a bigger hole in the wall to make room for the second switch. Having done that pull the old switch and box out and then mount a remodel box in its place. Wire in the new switch to the power feed then run a new piece of romex up the inside of the wall. If you're lucky, the hole in the header and possible blocks in the wall (big headache there) will be big enough to fit the second piece of romex through. If there are blocks, say this used to be a carport and now is a garage, you'll prolly have to tear apart the drywall and then fix that. After that you're pretty much home free.

Not hugely difficult on the talent scale. Just a big pain in the butt overall to accomplish.:crazy:

11. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

No drywall here...all cinder block:grin: Not a carport turned into a garage. Just an old garage/house. But hey, I gotta bathroom, shower, sink and even a chimney for an old pot belly stove/fireplace in the garage too!

Oh yeah, and romex is the type of wire I 'assume'?:blush:

When you said "Wire in the new switch to the power feed then run a new piece of romex up the inside of the wall."

...run it up to where? The outlet/box that I want to control?

Everything is exposed here...nothing 'in the walls'. Its all screwed along the wall or rafters inside conduit to the designated outlets/appliances.

12. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Also...are the "power feed" always the same color? or?

When dealing with residential wiring...what are the colors of wiring and there designations?

13. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

Yes, the book should be pretty easy to understand.. If not that one in particular, one like it should be fine. Take a look at it in the store, it should be pretty helpful.

Nothing wrong with being a newbie.. 110V and higher you just have to respect it..:D
    John

14. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Thats one thing I DO understand. I've hear of a few people lately getting hurt/killed. Much higher voltage, but still.
    Met a lady the other day who was down from Oregon. Her brother just got electricuted to death a few weeks ago and she was down for his funeral. He was on fire in the bucket and it took several hours for them to even get him down because i guess the whole truck was charged:frown1: Toasted him to death.

15. justhorsinaround

Ooo. Well then that makes things different. You'll have to pull wire up through the conduit. Not a problem if the conduit can handle the extra wire. You can probably get away with just pullin a hot up there and then wire into the existing common and ground but you'd prolly be better off pullin a new hot and common. You'll need a fishtape to get it through the conduit. To answer your romex question, romex is the wire that you have (probably) inside your walls in the house. It's that flat, wide, white stuff that has the wires encased in it.

16. justhorsinaround

As far as gettin electrocuted while doin this, just shut off the breaker to the garage. No A/C gettin through the breaker, no A/C where you'll be workin. Also, probably, red=hot, white=common, green=ground. Depending on how new the wiring is in the garage you might not even have a green wire in the box. Might be grounded through the conduit.

17. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

Black are ususally hot in a 3 wire with white being the neutral. Red is also hot in a 4 wire (240V feed).

Not that what you said was incorrect, but black is the more common color from my experience.

John

18. justhorsinaround

Residential wiring? Thinkin back as it was a while since I roped a house, flex was black, white, green but isn't romex red, white, green? I am the resident village idiot so I can well grant I'm wrong.