Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electrical/Mechanical Quadrajet info

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Itali83, Jul 15, 2002.

1. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

I just picked up an 86 Olds Cutlass Supreme for my college beater. It's really a nice car and not much of a beater but more a daily driver. It's got the olds 307 v-8 and a 4bbl Quadrajet thats got some electrical junk on it. This is my first carbed vehicle so I'm new to carbs. My father is good with carbs, but not quadrajets, he's dealt with holleys and thermoquads. It runs nice now but I'm looking for info on how to tune it, and steal as much power as I can from it. I've already learned that the secondary air valve only opens part way to limit air flow and I've also heard that I can get shorter secondary metering rods to richen up the secondarys. I'm just looking for info you guys have on what to do and what not to do. I've heard horror stories about quadrajunks as I know them, They can be a sweet carb when tuned, but absalute junk when not. I really want to get that deep sound when I punch it and the secondaries kick in like I've heard with other vaccume secondary cars. I'm going to do away with the smog equipment and cat becuase I'm going to tennesee with it and no one cares down there. It's got dual exhaust and I'm ordering two 40 series flowmaster muffs for it also, I'm keeping the money to a minimum because it's just going to be my beater. And info you guys have on the carb/motor/car or anything else you guys have is much appreciated. Thanks Here are some pics of it http://community.webshots.com/album/42900069KYLcfL
    Ben 87 Jimmy

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Well, you'd be best to keep the tinkering down to a minimum. They work with an 02 sensor that always wants things to be around 14.7:1 for air/fuel. When you floor them and the secondaries open, the computer backs off and you go into all out power mode. You change the air valve opening for a quicker secondary kick in. If you look behind the stud for the air cleaner wing nut, you'll see a long piece of metal between the secondary flaps. There is a screw on top of this. You take that screw off, that metal hanger will come out along with the secondary metering rods. Tuning beyond this takes time. If its a dead stock motor, leave it. GM spent money to get those settings right and sorry to say, I dount any of us could improve upon them. Dyeager535's page has more on this...

3. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

So basically all I should fool with is making the air valve open all the way and richen up the secondaries for all out smashing of the skinny pedal?? and leave the rest to the computer?? I want it to be reliable and run good, I'm going to be commuting 7 miles one way to school, getting a job, and hopefully gigging on the side so I need my wheels. I also want the car to have some power so I can have fun also, and I think no cat, no smog pump, and flow's will do the trick. anymore info would be much appreciated and thanks Blazer Boy
    Ben 87 Jimmy

4. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I can see where you're comming from. In all honesty, you'd be better off ditching the carb and computer distributor if you're going all-out. We had the exact same setup in a 1982 Tornado. It was a band-aid setup at best. Computer carburation, smog pumps, etc. I'd try to find a non-computer Q-jet from a similar sized motor and non-computer distributor. Of course, this means even more fun trying to tune everything to work well.

Back to the air valve deal. The air valves on those carbs rarely open fully because of the way they were made. This means filing down certain points to make sure it does. Changing the metering, yada yada. Sorry to sound like a wet blanket, but you can kinda see where I'm comming from. A little low-budget tuning is always fun though. You just loosen the tension on the air-valve 1/8 of a turn until it bogs at WOT and then tighten slighty until it ceases to bog.

A good tune-up, free-flowing exhaust, and intake (K&N, snorkel tube) will get you around town nicely. I remember when I was a wee little squirt and dad was driving the tornado. He got cut off on the highway and mashed it. I was all excited because he pegged the speedometer as he flew past the guy /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif Not to shabby for the family car.

5. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

Yea I just don't want to get a new carb and dist, and frig it up, the car needs to be running like it is at the end of next month becuase I'm driving it to tennesse, I'd hate to mess something up and ruin that. I may end up doing all the bolt on stuff, exhaust/intake, and save that for when I'm down in nashville. That way there I'll be more flexible. But I'm also interested in tuning the carb and stealing as much as I can with what I have now. Know what I mean. Thanks for you help.
    Ben 87 Jimmy

6. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

Oh yea, why do I need a new dist? That also computer controlled?? Thanks