Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

electrical mess...who can help!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 01maroonz71, Mar 24, 2007.

1. 01maroonz71

01maroonz71 1/2 ton status

well, something fishy is going on. i installed a cobra CB in my truck three days ago, and everything worked fine at first, now half my gauges stopped working, trans temp, volts, and fuel gauge, but speed,tach, and temp all work fine..... well, also, the truck sounds like it's starting way harder(like batt is almost dead) but it does start. when i turn off the truck, the radio will still stay on for a second also, never did that before.

for power to the cb i tapped into a fuse on the fuse block using a wire tap, the cb has an inline fuse in it also....and i grounded it under the dash. i then grounded the cb mounting plate to the frame also. the cb stopped working also...it powers up, but can't recieve/transmit. unhooking the cb doesn't help the rest of the problems either.

thanks in advance for the help ya'll!!!!!

2. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Hey there,

You need to visit my post and review the installation of my CB Radio. I too bought a Cobra.

For the hot lead, there is an ignition accessory port on the upper right side that stands alone. It is keyed. When the key is out, the CB is dead. When the key is in, it's dead. When turned to accy, run or start, the CB is hot. This will isolate the CB. Take your ground out to the battery. This will be the best ground point. If not, go directly to frame. Grounding the bracket is unnecessary. If you need any further help, PM me. I can help get you straight.

What model Cobra do you have? If you have the 29 WX ST NW, the quick power shot is normal. That is a test of the weather alert system.

Manny

3. 01maroonz71

that, my friend, is the exact cb that i have...i use the same one in my semi at work, and i lvoe it!!!! maybe the ground is screwin up the gauges some how. ill try running it out to the batt and see if that helps. thanks alot man!!!!

4. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

No Problem!

Like I said, use the power accy slot about an inch down on the right hand side. DO NOT put the CB in a hot slot or tap off ignition/guage fuses. Keep it separate. If necessary, go directly to pos (+) terminal off the battery. This will help eliminate any electrical feedback. But the choice is yours.

When is that '83 gonna be covered in MUD again? :D

Manny

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Have you read the owners manual on a Cobra CB? It tells you to ground the CB unit itself along with the ground on the plug.

6. 01maroonz71

haven't read the manual, i actually don't have one...i bought this cb(open box deal) for 50bucks with now mic, and no paperwork....can't go wrong for that price. im gonna try to download it though. thanks

manny, as soon as i get my new lift/wheels/tires on...im gonna give her hell...:)

7. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Instructions for ya!

Here ya go. Highlighted instructions and features of the CB. Hope this helps...

Wiring/Hook-up Instructions:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Antenna installation:

[​IMG]

Power Up-Channel selection:

[​IMG]

Calibrating the CB prior to usage (MUST DO THIS TO WORK):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SoundTracker noise reduction:

[​IMG]

Weather features:

[​IMG]

This should get you on your way. If you're missing parts, I have the part listing too. Let me know what you need, and I will do my best to supply it.

Manny

8. 01maroonz71

manny...im sure you hear this alot but YOUR THE MAN!!!!!

thanks alot

9. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

:waytogo:

Just helpin' a brother out...:laugh:

10. 01maroonz71

one more thing i forgot to mention, all the gauges in question light up at night, so i know they have good power/ground.....other than that, it's kickin my ass. damn it!!!

11. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Guages lighting up are on a different circuit I believe. I may be wrong. If so, it sounds like you have an open circuit on the guages. It could be a ground, it could be a hot issue. Where did you hook the CB into originally? Did you hook it into the guage cluster on the fuse box? If so, did you push the fuse contact in the block and so it's now not making contact with the fuse? Just a thought.

Manny

12. 01maroonz71

well, i figured it all out...thanks to THE MAN!!!! haha, manny, you've been a huge help. i wired the cb directly to the battery using 10gauge wiring, and also hooked a cig lighter into that, since my cb is mounted over my old one...haha... the gauges were indeed a blown fuse. mine truck, like mannys, has some pretty shotty wiring and it's one of the top 10things on my list to get done(painless, or equivelent) haha.....thanks alot guys!!!!!!

oh yeah, ill talk to you later about swapping body's man.....:D

13. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Hey Dave,

Glad it all worked out for ya. Something simple, ehh? Just make sure that you don't forget to turn your CB radio off, or you will end up with a dead battery for sure. I don't understand why people (PO) don't just take a little time to wire things correctly. I have yet to really see a professional or at least a decent job done on adding/changing anything electrical. Like you said, Painless or the equivalent, here we come!

Dave, it was my pleasure to help you out. You have my number. If there is anything you need, do not hesitate to call on me. I have all the part numbers saved for my rebuild so if you need 'em, I've got 'em.

:waytogo:

Manny

14. 01maroonz71

awesome man...i think my cb may be fried or something. because it comes on, and the needle moves when i transmit, but im getting no noise at all, and can't recieve anything at all. hmmm....on to that now i recon. my dad said he wasn't sure what was wrong with it(he knows a decent amount about cb's) but who knows.

thanks again manny!!!! im gonna keep ya in my prayers brother. good luck.

15. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Hey Dave,

Check the squelch. You might have it all the way down, so that no noise is heard. You'll be able to transmit, but if the signal isn't strong enough you'll get "dead" air. Also, make sure your antenna is tuned correctly. You may need to raise or lower it inside the stantion of the base in order to get it right. Is it like that also throughout all 40 channels? Sometimes I can get very little, and others I get 38 channels of Spanish. Haha, the Mexican population here in Texas love CB's!

Lemme know if I can help in any way. Again thanks for the prayers. I'm less than 48 hours till I go under the knife.

Manny

16. 01maroonz71

yeah, it's not the squeelch for sure...somethings wrong. im gonna check it out tomm. im gonna check the antenna and see what that can fix.
    thanks lots bro.