Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electrical Nightmare

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by hd44blazer, Jan 18, 2007.

1. hd44blazer

hd44blazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I just got my truck back on the road and the same day, both brake/blinker lights quit on me. These are them DSCF0178.JPG they're a dual filament bulb, they worked fine as I was installing them and testing them but stopped once I had the truck running again. The tail light filament still works with the headlights on. I tested the wires leading up to them with a voltmeter but got no response. I think it may be a fuse issue but I can't figure out which fuse is the right one because all the labeling has worn off and I don't have a diagram for reference. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

DSCF0178.JPG

2. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

If the wiring harness is stock, same for all aftermarket harnesses I've seen, the color of the wires will tell you what is what. So look at the wire color where the tail lights are spliced in and it will be the same going into the fuse block.

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I think your problem is you need wheels in those tires. Surely can't be ready to drive like that. :haha:

Seriously though, check the fuse panel for a blown fuse since it is the brake/signal portion of the bulb as they both use that filament and is fused with the same fuse. If you have the glass fuses don't just look at the element, pull the fuse and physically test it for continuity across the fuse. I've seen many times where the fuse appears to be good when in fact the element is burnt or broken in a place that it can't be seen.

4. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Those lights are legal in CA? I'm surprised if they are:eek1: I would think you'd have to have something larger.

That's not to say you wouldn't get away with it though:rolleyes:

5. hd44blazer

hd44blazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It turned out to be fuses, and as far as legality issues, I got the hookup down at the local doughnut shop.:wink1:

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Looks like i was right again. :thumb: