Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electrical nightmare

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ben794X4, Sep 14, 2001.

1. ben794X4

ben794X4 Registered Member

Let me first say that I am not good at sorting out electrical problems. That said I have one I cannot figure out. I have a 79 k5 350 manual, it had an interlock on the clutch, the body of this device broke and it quit working, so I pulled the leads off and touched them together to start my rig. It worked for about ten seconds so I shut it off and now it wont work I have power to everything except the starter, guages and the radio. I dont have any blown fuses and I replaced the ignition switch. I have no idea what could be wrong, I just thought I would see what you guys thought before I take it to a shop. I wont get a chance to check this until monday, (I have to go spend the weekend with the Army) so thanks in advance.

Subvert the accepted paradigm.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Ben, did you happen to let the bare wires touch any metal under the dash? If so, you might have taken out a fusible link under the hood. The circuit from the starter switch, through the interlock switch and out to the starter solenoid draws around 40 amps while it's cranking.

As a long shot it may have also smoked the contacts in the ignition switch itself. [​IMG] You'll have to do some digging around with a volt meter to figure out just where the power isn't getting through.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...