Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

electrical prob. lights on , dont run !

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by scrappyk5, Dec 12, 2002.

1. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

in my 88 s15 , i have been having this problem where the truck will all of a sudden die with the lights on. just driving down the road. sometimes i will pull over , shut off the lights, give it a minute , and it will re-start and
    i can turn on the lights and be on my way. but sometimes if i re-start it and turn the lights on , it will die again. so
    i shut off lights and give it a minute and it will be able to start again. this is happening spurratically , so its hard to figure out.
    also , there is a wire that goes from the back of the altinator to the starter , is that right? just checking.
    help !!!! . this problem is going to drive me to drink , lol. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

It sounds like your alt. isn't putting out enough voltage with a load on it. Get a digital volt meter and check the batt. voltage at idle then turn on all your lights and acc. and see what the voltage drops down to. It shouldn't drop down below about 13v.