Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

electrical prob with wife's 93 burb

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Jan 7, 2002.

electrical prob with wife\'s 93 burb

the lights are flickering. all the lights- headlights, int. lights, dash lights. all at the same time. sometimes it's bearly noticeable and sometimes it's like i'm flashing my lights at someone. when it does it real bad the volt gage and tack spike real good. and when you hit the turn sig. the lights flash in time with that. the wife also said that the volt gage has been reading high from time to time- couldn't specify how high though[​IMG]. the problem is somewhat intermitent but even at best you can see a small but constant flicker in the lights and corisponding movement in the volt gage.

so, does this sound like a simple bad ground or bad volt reg in the alt? what do you all think?

<font color=blue> Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

</font color=blue>

1. Kman

Kman Registered Member

Re: electrical prob with wife\'s 93 burb

My 89 blazer did the same thing just before the alternator died.
    You might want to hook up a volt meter to your alt/reg and see what your volts are coming out. Or just take it to schuks auto parts on hwy 97 or les swab at the south end of town they can check it for you.

Kevin

2. Re: electrical prob with wife\'s 93 burb

kman, are you in bend?

<font color=blue> Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

</font color=blue>

3. Kman

Kman Registered Member

No i live in aloha oregon. But my parents have had a house in the bend area since 1980. They now line out by cross water and thousand trails. I come over about once a month to ski fish and help them build their new house.

4. mike_d

mike_d Registered Member

It sounds like the volt regulater is on its way out and over charging the system. I'd yank the alt off and take it to the local parts chain store. Most of the cahin parts stres cn benc test it for free and let you know wat is going on .

oh s**t I think I ran over a Honda.

84 k5 blazer 6" lift 35" baja claws

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Has the motor or the heads been out? Could be a bad engine to body ground. It's real hard to see but on the back of the passenger side head is a ground strap to the fire wall. Well on the K5's up through 91 it's there not sure if it's the same on the new body trucks. That would be the first thing I would check.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

6. Re: electrical prob with wife\'s 93 burb

do those really make a big difference? iv'e done a few swaps and never hooked those up and haven't had any probs. i'll check it though. i think the motor has been out though. it seems to have less rust then the rest of the rig.

</font color=blue>

7. PAVEVENT SUCKS

PAVEVENT SUCKS Registered Member

I had a similar problem,after 6 months and 2 headlight switches,and 1 dimmer switch,I found a bad connection at the starter.

First aid kit is a roll of duct tape & a bud light

8. Re: electrical prob with wife\'s 93 burb

man, just called schucks and they want 122 bucks for a new alt. for that pig![​IMG] that blows.

</font color=blue>

9. Re: electrical prob with wife\'s 93 burb

man, just called schucks and they want 122 bucks for a new alt. for that pig![​IMG] that blows.

</font color=blue>

10. Kman

Kman Registered Member

Schuks has a life time warrenty on it if it fails take it back.
    Napa is a little less, Make sure you get the right ampage for your truck. For my 89 they had 3 different alternators. My turck is fully loaded so i needed at least 105 amps.

Kevin