Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electrical probem...maybe alternator

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Stickseler, Sep 18, 2003.

1. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

I was driving home from work today when I heard a noise from the front that sounded like I hit a branch or something going down the road. ABout 2 miles later my engine stuttered a few times and my check engine light flickered on and off a few times. I check my guages and the volts were just above the orange. I turned off the wipers, defroster and radio and it still stayed down. When I turned off my headlights it went up a bit but not back to normal. I drove the next 10 miles home with just wipers and lights and it never moved from above the orange. When I got home and turned off the lights it went back up to normal. I poped the hood when I got home and the alternator was so hot it cooked the rain off it. and I can hear it over the fuel pump inside the cab. I've never tried to track an electrical problem before. Where do I start and how do I test the alternator. I'm not sure how old it is but it is the only thing I didn't change when I did the new engine.

2. JW86

JW86 Registered Member

Any auto parts store can check it for you. Sounds like its fried so might as well pull it and take it in ( will need for core anyway) i just bought a new one with lifetime warranty for 39 bucks, but you can get the rebuilds cheaper. Good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif