Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electrical Problem!! HELP!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by lowdend, Jul 23, 2006.

1. lowdend

lowdend Registered Member

Jul 23, 2006
    Ok I'll try and explain this as best I can. I have an 87 Blazer in pretty good shape, all power options, I'm not too sure if this is going to help in the problem solving but I thought I better mention it.I thought that the alternator had gone because the voltmeter/ammeter, was saying that the battery wasn't getting charge. I replaced that, and still it says that the battery isn't charging. Turns out the battery is charging and the alternator was/is fine. I got in the truck today and smoke started coming from behind the dash. This is after I took to my friends brother who is a heavy duty mechanic, and he tells it's fixed, only $50 and I'm on my way. I look under the dash and there's 2 wires coming from a white junction box that are melting. I look at the fuse box, and this asshole's just run a wire in place of the cage/inst. fuse!! I have no idea where to look to find the short. When the 20 amp fuse is in the box, before you turn the motor over, all the gauges work, but as soon as you release the key and it falls back to the on postion, the fuel gauge and the voltmeter die cause the fuse has blown. Any ideas? I hate taking these things to a mechanic where they go on a goose chase and it costs a bloody fortune. I'd appreciate any help for anyone. Thanx in advance!