Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

electrical problem mayber? Plowed the garden, now some problems...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kyle89K5, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

So I'm plowing the garden under this weekend with the Blazer (1 Blazer + 2.72:1 low range + 14 bolt + Spool + Swampers + skinny pedal = Plow /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) and I noticed something not quite right with the truck. First, it's loading up something fierce. LOTS of extra gas out the tailpipe. Second, the volt guage is all over the ball park. Never in the orange, but all over the place. After a second or two of this, the truck dies. It starts back up every time, sometimes it's loaded up, sometimes it's not. It's pretty itermitant. Runs great down the road at speed, but idles for poo now.

Any thoughts.

2. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

Sounds to me like the alternator is loosing the regulator and spiking th voltage up and down. If the alternator is spiking it would cause the computer to go crazy trying to compensate for the erratic voltage, have the alternator checked out first. I went through 3 batteries in 6 months before I figured out my alternator was frying them with 27 volts of output /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif. The other thing that might cause the needle to run all over the gauge is if the truck is idling up and down enough to make the alternator not have enough revs to charge. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Plowing the garden huh? Well at least it is seeing some 4-wheel drive /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Sorry Kyle, had to do it, did you see John finally broke /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif