Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electrical problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bubblez, Jun 7, 2005.

1. bubblez

bubblez Newbie

looking for some help on electrical problem. I have power to the starter and from the starter to the firewall. I have interior lights and head lights but the dam thing has no power anywhere else. No radio, windows no wipers and ignition. what's up.

2. Boondocks

Boondocks 1/2 ton status

Is there power to the radio with the key in accessory?

If so, then maybe the ignition position of the switch is dead.

I assume you have checked fuses and power to the fuses?

3. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

There's a bunch of wires coming out of the bottom of your steering column, but you can check your Hayne's/Chilton's wiring diagram to figure out which is the ignition wire and attempt to 'hotwire' it if you don't feel like ripping apart the whole steering column quite yet

4. RustyParts

RustyParts 1/2 ton status

Some vehicles have what they call a fusible link which are usually connected to the starter to feed some parts of the electrical system. the bad thing about them they look just like a regular wire and they will burn into but never burn the insulation so you can never tell if they are bad.

It will take a test light to do some probing to find if they are bad.

Good luck.

5. wy4tt

wy4tt 1/2 ton status

I agree with RustyParts. Same thing happened to mine after I ground something out, and the fusible link was what went out. Caused almost everything to go out. It would run, but dash lights, radio, etc. wouldn't work. Follow back from the alternator maybe. What year is yours?

6. bubblez

bubblez Newbie

Thanks

thank you all for your imput, Last night i found the problem. It was the wire from the starter to the firewall. that wire of course didn't have a fuseable link and for some reason it gave way. I do thank you all and keep wheel'n.