Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electrical Problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by daleearnhardt01, Mar 12, 2006.

1. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Driving back to school today the radio decides to start cutting off by itself. It would cut back on withing 2 seconds and everything would be fine. It did this several times. Fastfoward about an hour Im now in the interstate and the motor shuts off for a second, refires by itself and goes on down the road. It did it once more then the third time it cut off and didnt refire on its own so I had to crank it back up. Pulling into the gas station it cut off, but fired right back up.

I have no idea what it could be other than a loose battery cable, wire, ignition switch, ground issue or possibly the crappy alternator that came from Autozone. Sometimes it charges right sometimes it doesnt, it seemed fine today though. Any ideas?

98 5.7 with 66k miles

2. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a loose connection somewhere. Maybe on the end of your negative cable opposite the battery? I don't think it's the alternator, cause if it was cutting in and out, the ignition is still going to run off of the battery for the few seconds that it's cut out.

3. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

I'd agree with ground cable. Worked on a Suburban around that same year that was doing this same thing and that's what it ended up being.