Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

electrical problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by az ranger, Dec 29, 2006.

1. az ranger

az ranger 1/2 ton status

long story short... I was trying to fix a problem with my cig. lighter and while I was soldering some wires together I shorted against the shifter on my tranny, I heard what sounded like a fuse pop, and now my stereo turns on and off by itself about every 5-10 seconds. All of my fuses in the fuse panel test out ok and the leads I was soldering are still hot, yet my stereo is fubared. I cant see where the wires I was conecting are hooked to the stereo but somehow it screwed it up. if it helps the wire I was working with was a hot lead that is Orange and it along with a white wire goes behind the glove box into a harness. I guess I did not make this long story that short after-all, but any advise would be apreciated

scott

2. az ranger

az ranger 1/2 ton status

anybody?

Is the radio some how on the same circuit as the cig. lighter. how do I trouble shoot this?

for what its worth it is not the factory stereo

3. az ranger

az ranger 1/2 ton status

ok now when I honk the horn, it makes strange sound under the dash and it turns on the interior dome light, wtf

4. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Something has melted together.

5. BlaKK54Speed

BlaKK54Speed 1/2 ton status

you must have a couple wires grounded together or grounded out completely

6. DesertDueler2

DesertDueler2 1/2 ton status

Cig. lighter, radio, horn, and interior lights are on the same fuse. You either shorted something, or lost a ground somewhere.

Dan

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

That's exactly the same thing that our S-Jimmy would do every time the cig lighter fuse would blow. If I remember right, it's a 25 amp fuse. We had a cell phone charger that unless inserted EXACTLY straight, would short to the side of the lighter and pop the fuse.

If you have blade-type fuses, it's a "clear" colored fuse that needs to be replaced.

8. az ranger

az ranger 1/2 ton status

well I have got my dash all but tore apart looking for the short, still cant find it. The wiring for all of the before mentioned items comes together behind the gauge cluster I cant yet figure out how to get that out with out breaking it.

Is there a fuse somewhere else other than the main fuse panel by the e brake pedal. I have checked all the fuses in there with the light thingy that lights up when there is power at the fuse. I have checked both sides of fuses and they all light up. Am I doing something wrong. obviously my electrical knowledge is very limited.
    thanks