Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

electrical problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 4x4blazer, Aug 20, 2000.

1. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

Ok, now that I have my new engine in, my guage lights, dome lights, and headlights wont work. Also, my temp guage wont work and it is a brand new sending unit. All of this stuff worked before and I checked all the fuses already. Any ideas on any of this stuff? Thanks for any help.

[​IMG]

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

My guess is you forgot the ground strap off the passenger side head to the fire wall, you know the one that you missed when you were pulling the engine :) You can't see that booger once the engine is in. 3/8x1/2 inch bolt (9/16 wrench size) in any of the unused holes on the back of the head. If you broke the strap when you pulled the engine Pep Boys and Autozone usualy have new ones in stock in the Help section.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

3. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

nope cant be the ground strap, i have a new one on there. anything else it could be?

[​IMG]

4. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

Maybe the headlight switch just bit the dust? Do you have voltage going to the fuse, to the switch? What about to the headlights? I know it seems kinda odd, but maybe it just died? Just my opinion. - Steve

Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well it sounds like you lost the main power and usualy thats the ground strap. The main power lead connects at the starter. Maybe you missed it when you bolted things back in. Depending on the year there are 2-3 leads that need to be on the same bolt as the battery lead. You obviously got the one for the start circuit since it will crank but maybe you missed the main power lead for the cab. Also check the big plug for the main power on the firewall under the brake booster and trace the wires back from that.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

6. Dave A

Dave A Registered Member

I know you replaced the ground strap but man, this feels like a ground problem! Make sure that where the strap is attached to the firewall is clean, use a wire brush or similar on it. I had a headlight that quit all of a sudden once, I looked at the ground and it looked clean but I came back to it after everything else checked out. Wire brushed it and that did the trick.

7. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the input guys. I just got home from work so I will go out and check all of this stuff in a few. I will reply again when I get it fixed and let yall know what it was.

[​IMG]