Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electrical problems, need help with solution

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazinzuk, Jul 26, 2006.

1. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

First off my blazer is a 73, it has wiring problems. Some wires the insulation is falling off and some have actually failed inside their insulation. I have determined that I cannot fix the many problems that I have.
    Heres my questions.
    1. What is the first year of blazer to come with blade style fuses?

2. I have an 89 that has the wiring harness in it, will it be too different to use or too much of a pain to cut off all the extra?

3. I have a tight budget on this thing, is there a quality wiring harness that can be had for cheap?

4. Can I go to a wrecking yard and get a harness from a truck or do I need one from a blazer? The only caveat to this is it has to have blade style fuses.

Please keep in mind that I am by no means a electrical person, but have been able to accomplish everything else I need to do on my truck. I am looking for an easy way out, but I don't want the thing to have any problems so if the right way out isn't the easiest I will do the right way.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The '89 is the R/V style, not C/K?

If so, I'd swap the whole harness over. It would require some changes (instrument panel, steering column, etc) but could be done. Being on a budget, unless you've got those parts around it may not be worth it though.

No idea first year of blade, pre-'81 at least.

You can use a truck harness, only real difference I can think of internally is the rear dome light, but externally you've got the tailgate wiring if electric at least.

It would probably be best to find a complete donor to be honest. Re-wiring one of these trucks is very tedious, and if you are doing some of it, you might as well do all of it, (to include hard parts) and might as well do it right. You MIGHT get lucky in that regard and find a cheap/complete donor that's within your budget.

3. shepdog

shepdog Registered Member

Painless Wiring makes wiring harnesses for your truck and you might want to try LMC. Both of them have fair prices. If you ever watch 4x4 Extreme tv they had an episode about wiring. They laid out a silhoute of the floor of the truck on the garage floor in tape. Then they laid the wiring harness out on the floor as kind of a mock up. It looked like a pretty good idea and seemed to make it easier to sort out on flat ground.

4. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yes and they are reasonable but I am on a very tight budget, there are alot of aftermarket wiring harness for our trucks but in my happy little world they are out of reach right now.

5. mike n

mike n 1/2 ton status

79 was the first year for blade style fuses.