Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

electrical problems...need help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shupach, May 26, 2003.

1. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

well for the past month i've been trying on and off to get my blazer started, but this seeems like a lost cause of the blazer gods just hate me, one of the two. Right now i think i have a short but i cant for the life of me find it, i hooked up everything the way it is supposed to be but wat is really scaring me is the tranny cooler lines(you know the ones that go to radiator) they get extremely hot, infact i've even had them smoking!!!! and this is from the electricity it self!!! i've looked all around the lines and cant seem to find any wires touching or anything. can someone please help me out i've spent alot of time building this engine and now it wont even start!!

thanks,

phill

2. chillywilly

chillywilly Registered Member

Holy Smokes!!!! Hot tranny lines? Check your big /main ground cable to engine.Sounds like its tryin to ground through cooler lines.

3. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

ya i've actually hooked up a ground cable from the alternator to the frame and well that thing melted....

phill

4. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ya i've actually hooked up a ground cable from the alternator to the frame and well that thing melted....

phill

[/ QUOTE ]

shouldn't hook it to your alternator...I hope you are meaning to say you hooked it to your alternator mounting bracket

sounds like a dead short somewhere. I had an El Camino do something similar...I was selling it and dude took it for a test drive, the battery cable going to the starter got against the exhaust and melted a spot through the insulation causing it to short out and melted both batttery cables.

5. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

ya i had it on the alternator bracket, well i replaced the ground wire from the battery to the frame since it was gone, however i have a short now, and i cannot for the life of me find it.

phill

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Do you have the main ground wire from the battery connected to the frame or to the engine? It should be attached to the engine block or the alternator bracket. The highest current draw is from the starter, so you want to make the circuit for it as short as possible.

7. deek

deek 1/2 ton status

I agree with HARRYh3, but if you have any doubt take a test light from your tranny to your frame, if it lights up when somebody turns the motor over you have a bad ground off the engine. the battery cable from the alt. mount will create a path great enough for the power to pass. right now it's just trying to find another way back to ground