Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electrical problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BillyBob, Apr 22, 2000.

1. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

Now my trucks back lights are screwing up. One night, when I turn on my lights, I looked in the back and saw my rears were only working when the brake was on. otherwise, they never turned on at all. Not to mention my dash lights went out too. So, today, I look at all the fuses, and nothing is blown. so I switch one of the bulbs.. and it works.... for a while. But now, everything blinks no matter what direction I put the blinkers in. the truck has been kinda overwired by it's previous owner. He did a lousy job at it too.. any suggestions?

2. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

This past winter mine did the same thing, I found out the previous owner had a thing for the plug for the trailor lights and took it with him. He left the wire hanging. When the salt from the road got hold of it , all the lights went nuts. Took me a while to find it , but I think you might just start tracing thewires out. Make sure you have good grounds at each lightdue to the way GM daisy chained the grounds, one missing can cause problems...any questions just ask...

3. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

first of all a fuse can appear to be fine by looks and be actually blown, pull every fuse and test it with an ohmeter. I know this from experience and sometimes a fuse that didn't say taillights might operate the taillights, I have had this happen before too. Make sure that your sockets arent corroded and the bulb is making good contact with the terminals. Make sure that the ground wires are tight and clean of rust. Follow the wires along the frame and check to see if any insulation has rubbed off where the wires rub together. Take out the headlight switch and have it checked by a reputable electrical shop.
    Not necesarily in that order but these are the things that I can think of right now.
    '77 K5

<font color=red>mudfanatic</font color=red>[​IMG]

4. Blazerbob

Blazerbob 1/2 ton status

I have seen this happen alot to Chevys. Check the wires from the cab back. One of my old blazers did this because of the rust on the rocker rubbed through the wiring and shorted it out. Good luck, I hate electrical problems!!!!

<font color=blue>Blazerbob</font color=blue>[​IMG]

5. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

You only have four wires going to the rear to control at least 7 bulbs. The problem is more than likely in the rear couple of feet of wiring. Brown is tail and tag lamps; light green is reverse lights; yellow is left turn signal; dark green is right turn signal. After the main wires splits and goes to the sides, the dark green is then yellow. All black is ground. Good luck and check all connections/cracks in wiring/etc.

By the way, I saw "Varsity Blue" again this weekend. BillyBob had one sweet chevy, even tho' it wasn't a K5.

'73K5,SM465,NP205,33"BFG,4"TuffCountry,3.73:1diffs
    350.4bolt+mods,Warn8000#,Factory skidplates

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

You have ground problems. Motor been out? Back of the passenger side head is a ground strap that hooks to the fire wall. Check that.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper