Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electrical Problems

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by icemanoh58d, Feb 28, 2006.

1. icemanoh58d

icemanoh58d Registered Member

Hey Guys kinda new to the web site and wondered if anyone could help with my 83 6.2? The alternator stopped charging both batteries went bad the starter main power lead grounded out against the starter body which I figure caused the batteries and alternator to fail. I have replaced the alternator both batteries and it didn't fix the problem batteries still not charging and my headlights don't work which I'm pretty sure is unrelated and probably just a bad headlight switch even though I just replaced it. Looking for some info on where the fusible links are located on my truck and or if there is some other part on this truck that I am unfamilar with that is causing this problem I have dual batteries hooked up positive to positive and both are individually grounded to the the engine didn't know if this is the correct way to have them but it was that way when I bought it and if it is correct doesn't the truck have to have something to step the voltage down from 24 to 12. Please let me know if theres anything else I need to check when troubleshooting?

Thanks Guys
    Trevor

2. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

For the fussible links there should be two down by the starter and one at the junction block on the firewall. I would try replacing them even if they look fine. You're truck shouldnt be 24 volt unless its either a CUCV or you hooked the batteries up in series, which would be bad.

3. icemanoh58d

Thanks Brother I'll give that a try this weekend and I'll let you guys know if I need any more help you rock.

Trev

4. icemanoh58d

Turned out after all that work and chasing wires that it was a bad alternator all along... bench tested fine it just wasn't putting out enough voltage for my truck put in a new one again and works fine now on to my headlight/ domelight/ stereo problem I think it's a bad headlight switch but we'll see thanks again. Lesson learned don't rely on used rebuilt auto parts and always get a lifetime warranty.

Trev

Trevor

5. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

yeah your probably right with the switch, pull it out and use a jumper wire to try and get the lights to work if they still dont you know it is something elce

6. icemanoh58d

Again the alternator has died but all other systems are operating normally I'm deep cycle charging the red tops again tonight and will replace the alternator again tommorrow beyond that I'm lost again btw I replaced all the fusible links down by the starter and that got the headlights and radio etc working now I'm wondering if that alternator is of a high enough output to maintain two batteries and all that it is a 78 amp let me know if there is a higher output amp I should try and what part# or vehicle it go's on

Thanks Again
    Trev

7. afroman006

If you're truck is killin alternators its probably a wiring issue. If the ignition hot wire that connects to the voltage regulator on the alternator doesnt have enough resistance, it will kill the alternator every time. From what I hear, have a light bulb in this circuit provides enough resistance to get the job done and keep the alternator happy.

As far as upgrading, the most popular way is the GM CS144 series alternator out of a early to mid 90s cadillac and some pontiacs I think. Go to a junkyard, you should be able to get on prety cheap and they are 120 amp.

8. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i had my stocl 105 re wound ro 135

but look to your wireing befor you but more alts.

your alt can mantain two batterys fine, there is no change in load on it,

9. icemanoh58d

Again thanks for the info I replaced it again yesterday and it works fine for now as far as the wire going to the ignition hot wire is that the big single wire on the back or one of the two on the plug itself? I've checked all these wires for continuity and have almost no resistance in any of them so let me know so I can add some resistance to that wire if necessary.

Trev

10. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

wouldn't that be hooking up the batteries in series?

11. afroman006

No positive to positive is in parallel and more amps at 12 volts.

12. icemanoh58d

from everything i've read and researched when you hook batteries up positive to positive negative to negative it is running the batteries in parallel giving you twice the amperage... when you hook them up positive to negative and positive to negative it is in series giving you twice the voltage which in my case would be bad...

Trev