Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electrical problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 6.2 man, Jun 25, 2006.

1. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am wooried about my charging system . I have never had a dead battery but when I turn anything on my volt gauge reads like 13 volts . This is at any speed . I checked the alternator and show 14.5 at the post on the back . I show 14.5 at the batteries . I show 14.5 at the firewall . The other day i was idling thru a parking lot with the air on and my glow plugs kick in . So the system was detecting low voltage because my gauge read below 13 volts . Please help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I wouldn't trust the factory gauge for anything other than to let you know that there is more than 0 volts there.

3. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

Absolutely. I have seen more bad gauges cost people tons of money trying to fix a problem that doesn't even exist that it isn't even funny anymore. If you are worried, pull your cluster and check voltage at the gauge. Bet you'll find it's 1.5-3 volts off. I know mine is.