Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electrical problems!!!!

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rac33me, Apr 19, 2002.

1. rac33me

rac33me Newbie

All right, in a nutshell: My battery dies when driving with lights or stereo on(it is not charging). Replaced the alt. and the reg. with the same results. I also noticed that my turn signals and wiper are not working now(almost all the bottom of the fuse box is dead) I found one inline fuse by the reg. and changed out that blown fuse, but could not find the other inline by the battery.(but there is a wire that runs from the junction box into the wiring harness that does have a a little section of round rubber on it. maybe this is a fusable wire? either way, it has power on both sides of the rubber) I need help!!!!

2. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Well I went through similar stuff a while back and found out it was bad cell in the battery, which was killing alternator/generator/regulator.

some of the guys on here were the ones to point it out to me. So pull battery and have it tested.. If not wiring yuck.

3. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

There is a fusible link going to the battery from the regulator. Make sure it has continuity, not just 12 volts on both sides. There looks to be a big junction of 4-5 wires cming off terminal 3 of the regulator....make sure that is good, then another junction where the big red wire and fusible link go to the battery. Make sure you have a good ground between the battery and alternator/engine.

4. jeffer

jeffer 1/2 ton status

This is probably not that helpful, but I was fighting similar things last week. Word of advice, just go to an internally regulated alternator. By adding two jumpers to that 4 prong connector (disconnected from the regulator), I was able to hook up the new internally regulated alternator to the original harness with slight modification. All the mounting was the same, same belt. I'm charging at 14.8V and happy.

Jeff.