Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electrical Problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kihlj, Aug 5, 2002.

1. kihlj

kihlj Registered Member

I am having a problem when starting my K5. I have noticed that the idle/gauge fuse keeps blowing when I start my K5. I will replace the fuse and then start up the truck and it blows right away. I have checked all other fuses and looked for any exposed wires under the dash but no luck. I have looked around the starter but again I don't see any exposed wires. The other bad thing about this is that my battery keeps runnning down after about two days after a full charge. I thought the alternator was bad and replaced it with a reman. from Autozone but the problem still exists. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jason

2. testosterone

testosterone Registered Member

try disconnecting your cig lighter...that happened to me with my old truck. I know your woes though..ive been working on electical probs with my blazer for weeks now..good luck bud.

3. kihlj

kihlj Registered Member

Thanks. I will give that a try and come to think of it there is something wrong with the cig lighter. I had just shut the door since I rarely use it.

4. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

If disconnecting the Cig lighter fixes the problem, then just take the element out (the part you remove to actually light the cig) 99 times out of 100 it has a short in it.

If disconnecting it does not fix the problem start looking at everything on the circuit from the factory and anything added on to it, ie aux lighting, power taps...

5. kihlj

kihlj Registered Member

Do you think that hot oil that is slowly dripping down on the fusible link wire that goes to the starter could be the problem. I disconnected the cig lighter and it blew shortly after replacing the fuse. I went down under the truck to look around the starter again and took a mirror so that I could look at the top of all the wires coming from the starter. Upon inspection I found that the fusible link had an oily residue and it was right were someone had used a wire connector to splice in a new fusible link. Also, the wiring was quite "charcoaled looking" on top but not on the bottom. What is the best way to tell if that fusible link is bad?

Any more thoughts on this problem?

Thanks,

Jason

6. Jay73K20

Jay73K20 Registered Member

No hot oil on a fusible link will not blow an idle/gauge fuse. What componets would the idle/gauge fuse run, IAC (maybe don't know TBI), and all your gauges. The cirgirate lighter should run off the radio fuse which is 10amps, A guage fuse is usaully 5amps or under. Hopes this narrows your search down.