Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electrical problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by joe84bb, Oct 8, 2000.

1. joe84bb

joe84bb Registered Member

Recently my volt readings have fluctuated between 13 and 8-sometimes staying bottomed out on the meter for miles at a time. The meter is reading ok, I think, because the interior lights dim and brighten with the meter's reading. I've had the alternator checked twice and it's ok. I don't know where to go from there. Any suggestions?

I know just enough to know that I'll never know enough.

2. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Have you checked the battery, the cables (how do they look), what about the belt, is it tight? When you had the alternator checked, was it on the vehicle? If you had the alternator bench checked, that could be the problem. Did you have the alternator checked on the vehicle when the volt guage was reading low? Of course the battery needs to be fully charged. If your sure that the guage is correct (try checking with a voltmeter), I would suspect the alternator. I work at Autozone part-time and on the bench we can only check the diode patterns and the regulator voltage, whereas on the vehicle, we can also check the current output of the alternator. Also make sure that both cables are nice and tight, and not on any painted surfaces, or rusted surfaces as well. And check the battery.- Steve :)</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html