Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electrical Problems!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AntAZBlaz, Feb 18, 2004.

1. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

Hey all know it has been a while since I have been on the board but I could really use some help.

Here is the deal I'm driving down the street and I stop at the light and the truck dies on me. I try to turn it back on and I get absolutely nothing.

The headlights, break lights, signal lights come on the interior lights come on my cb works the horn works, and my cd player will turn on and accept my cd and eject it but it will not stay on.

The emergency flashers, turn signals, door locks, front and rear windows ignition, and alarm. Do not work.

So far I have tried jumping the truck to check the battery and that was not the problem I, tried getting the jump from another vehicle and from one of those booster battery packs and it showed that my battery was fine.

I jumped the starter silinode and the starter engaged and began to spin but it couldn't get it to start the engine, when the key is in the on position the starter does not click at all.. I went to an alarm shop today thinking that my alarm was not functioning and they spent some time trouble shooting they found that my fuse panel was not receiving power. So they traced it back and thought that the starter was not allowing power to flow through to the fuse box. I have three wires connected to the starter besides the main battery feed.

I took the starter out and went to Checker with it and it showed the starter as working correctly.

So now I figure I have a break in the line somewhere but I'm not sure where to get going.

So for one I could use some advice on where to start trouble shooting this problem effectively and two if anyone has the wiring diagram for an 86 1/2 blazer I would really appreciate it.

My Info:
    1986 1/2 blazer, all of my battery power connections are new, i have the dual battery hellroaring unit (never seems to be able to start up my truck when i need it and i contacted them as i was installing it with pictures to make sure that it was connected correctly?), my 350 has been replaced with a 383 so i have a lot of free electrical connections that are not in use (i just zip tied them up near the rear of the engine to keep them out of the way).

please let me know if you need any more info to help trouble shoot.

King

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Mine went dead at butcher jones one day when I got done fishing in cove 2. I discovered it was one of the fusible links on the post next to the power brake booster. I didn't have one so I used regular wire smaller than the wire there. The smaller wire will burn up just as a fusible link would thus protecting. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

Do you have any pict's to point me in the right direction, any advice on how to test. I have a vom, should i be trying to check for continuity or for +12V.

King

4. pauly383

Unfortunately . I'm at work and have no photo. If you were near Scottsdale Rd and Mcdowell I could show you mine. Depends on year of truck I think most of the 81's on had this little juction part with fusible links. Basically you should have 12 volts on both sides of it at every wire. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

Hey could we make it tomorrow. i work over on Gilbert and Brown and I could shoot on over to your place after work tomorrow. Shoot me a pm with where you want to meet and I'll try to make it happen. Or you can take some picts and send them to me either way is cool with me. I'm not going to lay a hand on it until friday after work, right now i just want to collect as much info as possible because aparently i'm missing the key problem.

King

6. pauly383

K. Gonna take some photos tonight, if they don't help and you have a chance to hook up I'll help you. I was hoping to get some work done on my truck in the next few days. I usually work ti 5 and at home in Mesa by 6 or so. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

sent you a pm

does any one else have any info?

king

8. frankin5

frankin5 Super Mall Crawler Premium Member

there should be two fusable links within six inchs of the connection at the starter. the one to the ignition goes to the main fuse block in the main harness. it does not go to the juntion block to the left of the windshield wiper motor. hope this helps. looking at the factory wiring for an 85. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. pauly383

[ QUOTE ]
    Depends on year of truck I think most of the 81's on had this little juction part with fusible links

[/ QUOTE ] I was hoping his was similar to mine . So there is a difference from 83 to 85 /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif My problem was due to this connection in the picture below . The arrow shows the junction block and the wire running straight down from it feeds MY fuse box, this burnt up and I no power totrip solenoid on starter or anything except what is hardwired to battery. Just trying to help, if they're different they're different.
    [​IMG]

10. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    there should be two fusable links within six inchs of the connection at the starter. the one to the ignition goes to the main fuse block in the main harness. it does not go to the juntion block to the left of the windshield wiper motor. hope this helps. looking at the factory wiring for an 85. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have any picts that could help out i would really appreciate it.

King

11. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

This is what you were pointing at correct? I'll take a look at it tomorrow if i get the chance and let you all know what happened.

king [​IMG]

12. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

Id check for 12v at both sides of all the fuseable links off the starter, ID bet that is where your problem is. Also check for good ground contacts,

13. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I've got one of those on my 75 /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

14. pauly383

Yup looks like it. I know the fusible links off the starter of MINE run to that and from there to fusebox . I believe one feeds the switched power and on feeds constant power. Yours may not be the same but it would not hurt at all to check for 12 volts there /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

15. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help it looks like i'll try fixing this on friday and i'll update you on how things are going.

king

16. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

on the right hand side of that fuseable link in my picture the wire was broken inside the loom once i found it and fixed it everything was up and running fine. thanks to all for the info and it turned what seemed like a seriouse problem to a 15 minute fix.
    king

17. pauly383

Awesome, I love it when things are cut and dry /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif