Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

electrical Q, 110 volt to 14 volt *Large clear picture*

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BranndonC, Sep 3, 2005.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

I have this little LED red hand, like the kind that says dont walk. anyway its hooked up to. what i want to do it hook it up to my brake lights so i can have it light up when i hit the brakes, lol just for fun, not serious about keeping it forever, but i'm going to make a reciever mount and i want to hook it up to my trailer light harnes, is that possible, or do i need a converter hidden somewhere? and can i just take out the light socket part and put a plug socket on the end?

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=9/24621321455.jpg&s=x4

BETTER PIC

CIMG3031.JPG

CIMG3032.JPG

CIMG3033.JPG

CIMG3034.JPG

CIMG3036.JPG

Last edited: Sep 4, 2005
  2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i would hook it up to a cheap little power inverter, with a relay inbetwen, then hook your brake light to the signal switch for the relay, when you hit the brakes hand comes on!

i take it if you tinking about red hand brake lights you got her running good now?

3. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    If I'm reading it right, it says it draws 33.6 amps at 120 volts or is it 7.2?
    If so, that would take one hell of an inverter to power it.
    Do you know someone with a amp meter to check it?
    You will need a inverter that can handle the load.

4. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

I *think* volt-amps, are different then strate out amps.

ill ask my bro when i go over there for dinner tonight, he a licenced electriction and messes with electronics too.

i cant see a bunch of leds takeing 33. amps, light emiting diodes are used because they DONT take much power, think brake light they make for out trucks with leds and they pulg right in.

they may well take low power and that board has a step down inverter to go from 120 to 12 or 24 volts to power the leds themselves

5. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

Volt-Amps (VA) is just volts times amps(aka Watts). So 33.6 VA/120 V = .28 Amps (AC) @ 120 Volts.

A small inverted should work fine.

Power consumption = 7.2 is confusing me. What is the unit of measurement ??? I mean we have the voltage and Volt-Amps, not sure of this one, could be a DC rating.

With better pictures, I could probally figure out where you can just put 12 VDC from your truck (brake lights).
    Looks like 120 V light bulb socket to the circuit board. I see a large wattage resister (R1) and a component labeled "ZNR1" (Zener diode to lower voltage, I presume). I also see 4 diodes that are probally bridged together for full wave DC voltage. Somewhere around there, is where I would hook 12 V in. But without tracing the circuit out you might be asking for trouble.

Sorry for the ramble. :whistle:

6. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Yep, on the output of the full wave bridge rectifier is where you'd put your 12V. A better pic of the circuit board in that area would make all the difference. But if I remember my bridge rectifier circuits correctly, there should be a large capacitor across the output of the rectifier to 'smooth' out the half sine wave. My bet is that it would be that capacitor directly above the 4 diodes. The capacitor should have a + sign near one of the leads. Just hook up the +12V to that terminal and ground to the othe side ... if you feel daring. But like I said, without seeing the circuit I can't guarantee it.

7. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

8. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

That helps, but maybe I should have specified that I need a pic of the front and rear (the traces). That way I can figure out which components are connected to what. Sorry about that. :doah::doah: Hopefully they didn't put a protective film on the back that makes it hard to see.

9. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

10. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

It's still a little rough to see the circuit traces at the diodes(D1,2,3 & 4)in your pics.
    But yeah, like spearchucker said, the output of the bridge is where you would want to connect the 12 Volts. BUT remember to put a resistor in series to limit the current or you will burn up the LED's. You may not have to because one of the them on that board is probally for that, but I can't see the circuit board traces good enough to be sure. If someone could post a picture of a bridge rectifier and if you could focus more on the back of those diodes, capicitors and resistors, we could probally talk you thru it.
    Sorry to make more work for ya.......