Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electrical question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hidesertwheelin, Aug 26, 2006.

1. hidesertwheelin

hidesertwheelin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Ok my Alternator took a crap on me. We were recharging the A/C and I guess the alternator went out then. When I went to roll up a window, the whole truck died. I mean everything, no lights, nothign when you turned the key, no buzzers, nothing. We charged tha batteries for about 30 min., but still nothing, the whole truck was deal. We ran a jumper wire from the battery or the solinoid (I don't remeber which) to the power block on the back of the firewall. Truck had power and started up. Let it run for a few mins. turned it off and it started up again untill the batteries were dead. So I chenged teh alternator but it's dead again, and I need to jump it. Is there a fusable link or something that I need to fix? I can't figure out why running a jumper wire will get it to start and it's fine unless the battery runs to low.

Oh ya it's a 82 Jimmy with a 6.2L diesel and factory dual batteries/.
  2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Jul 24, 2003

The fusible links must have fried...two are located in the thick red wires that bolt to the solenoid,behind the positive battery cable.(often hidden in a metal tube bolted to the bellhousing,to protect the wires from the hot exhaust manifold)....another is located on the wire going to the plastic juntion block near the power brake booster..

Jumping them with a wire will allow it to start,but not let the alternator charge..it gets its current to "excite" it from the fuse box or dash cluster,and depending on where you hooked the jumper wire up,it may not get power to that part of the truck..:crazy:
  3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Dec 14, 2001
    Let me just say that an alternators job is not to charge a battery but to maintain the charge that is in the battery. You need to fully charge the battery before you even start the vehicle again or you risk the chance of blowing the alternator.