Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

electrical questions...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hammermachine, Oct 5, 2006.

1. hammermachine

hammermachine 1/2 ton status

I've never been good at electrical things. My K5 head lights flick on and off. They are also brownish. I bought a heavy duty wire harness from LMC and am attempting to replace the existing wiring and headlights. Unfortunatly the f*$king instructions are mostly in chinese. I think I need more wires and a on/off switch to hook into. Anythoughts?:doah: :doah: :doah: :thinking: :thinking:

2. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

check/clean all the grounds and connections, i know that there were a couple of ground wires on the passenger side lights that were causing some problems for me.

3. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Try cleaning all the connections at the lamp. Check the wiring, both power and grounds, for cracks bare wires etc. What do you mean by more wires, and a switch?

4. hammermachine

Electrical issues...

Thanks, I'll try to clean the contacts and check the wiring. The deadhead who sold me the K5 went mudding and the entire engine bay was/is still dirty. All four headlights are brown and dim out to nothing. I replaced one of the bulbs (thinking that was the problem) but they all still do it.:confused: :confused: :yikes: :yikes: :angry1: :angry1:

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

floor mounted dimmer switch???

If you have a floor mounted dimmer switch--its possible its wires and the switch itself is rusted to death..I've had to replace both the plug,switch,and a foot of wiring to get my headlights working again..parts stores sell a repair plug harness for them..

The headlight switch has a thermal curcuit breaker built into it--if the load is too heavy,it heats up,and the breaker clicks on and off..a short in the headlight wires can do this--so can splicing in a bunch of aftermarket off road lamps with no relay!...and the 3 prong plugs at the bulbs often turn to gangrene, and cause high resistance--you can buy new plugs cheep at parts stores--just snip and splice one wire at a time,so you wont mess up which one is high beam and low beam,and ground!..:crazy:

6. hammermachine

No it's turn signal mounted one. It must be something else.

7. hammermachine

Thanks Guys

Thanks for the help, One can co contact cleaner and presto working headlights. Low and Highbeams. Thanks for the help.:laugh: :D :laugh: