Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electrical Short in water

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by GruntHunter, Dec 16, 2005.

1. GruntHunter

GruntHunter 1/2 ton status

I've got an '85 K5 that has started shutting down on me when I try to go through a water hole out on my hunting lease. The water's not all that deep, maybe up to the top of the bumper in the deepest spot and I'm running stock suspension with Pro-Comp 31x12.5 Mud Terrains. I never used to have this problem and I have been through the same spot and litterailly pushed a bow wave up over the hood and it never even hick-up'd. Now I'm afraid to try and go through it. I can't figure out what would be shutting the engine down. The first time it happened I had to wait about 10 min and then it finally started back up. I was already coming out of the water hole and only the back wheels and tail pipe were in the water. The only thing I can think of is the batttery cable going to the starter. Would getting that connection wet short out the electrical system, and of si, what does everyone do to correct the problem?

2. stayaway

stayaway Registered Member

The dist cap could have a crack kinda of odd for a hei to water drown out

3. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

12v shouldn't be enough to short through water? It must be the spark as stayaway said.

4. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

agreed, replace the cap, and rtv ot grease the edges(to coil and dist)

if it still does it, I'd put new wires on it

5. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

the ignition lead comes straight off the power ditribution point, through the fuseable links and into the cab, maybe a little loose connection down at the starter, water does strange crap to electrical stuff

6. GruntHunter

GruntHunter 1/2 ton status

Electrical Short in water.

Many thanks for the suggestions guys. I had lost this thread and started a 2nd one but now have some things to look at.

Yeah, when it died I didn't have anything. I'd turn the key, and nothing. After about 5 min I started getting a click in the starter and then a little while later it would just barely try and crank. After about 15 min it started to crank and finally started. It was pretty rough running at first and then seemed to clear up. The 2nd time it happened it started right back up for me. The forst time was a little scary because I had my wife, son and mother-in-law with me showing her around the hunting lease. We were 7 miles from a paved road and I was calling for help when it started to crank again.:bow:

7. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

sounds like a soaked dis, also you starter never lasts long running through water and mud, i just had to replace mine, stranded at work it was on its way out and was not even a year old.

starters are not in the least bit water proof, hell there right open, make sure that doesent leave you stranded

8. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

All the distributor answers need to re read.....

I would start with replacing both battery cables.