Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

electrical short!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CrazeeBush, Sep 10, 2000.

1. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

OKay, here's the deal. I've got this horrible short in my steering column. I turn on my left turn signal and the dang horn goes off. SO I've now disconnected the horn. I can still hear the horn relay go off though. Any ideas or suggestions?

-JoSH
    crazeebush@aol.com
    http://josh.coloradok5.com

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

There's a harness that goes through your column into your signal arm that controls your signal relay, as well as your wipers and, if you have it, your cruise control. The wire that connects to your horn switch is probably bundled with the rest of them. Chances are the coatings have worn through, and when you power up your signal, your horn is getting power, too. I had a similar short that was caused by frequent tilt colmn adjustment.

3. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Also check your turn signal cam, mine cracked and the sharp edges cut into wires and made a mess. I covered them with tape and replaced the t.s. cam(wheeeee). No problems since.

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

4. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=purple>If you can't find the short and you are pretty sure it is in the wiring harness, you can buy a new one and replace the harness in the steering column. It is not that hard to do, I had to do it in my 74 Nova. The only problem that I had, was that the connector would not mate up to the connector that ran to the rest of the car. So I cut and spliced the old connector to the new harness, that way the car harness was not butchered. - Steve</font color=purple>

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html