Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electrical/steering column question...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 83k5inthefort, Jul 10, 2004.

1. 83k5inthefort

83k5inthefort Registered Member

Hello again, everybody!
    Hopefully someone will read this who is experienced with 2nd Gen GM steering columns. About a month ago, the self-cancel on my left turn signal stopped working. Any suggestions on places to start looking, or common causes?
    Thanks again! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Take the steerin wheel off and then take a look at your turn signal mechanism and see if there's somethin loose or more probably broken. Prolly one of the little ears is no longer attached. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

I just replaced my entire switch. It was about 50 bucks from the dealer. You can also pick up a repair kit from the part stores. It has the two springs and the plastic cam. Also can get the horn/cancel cam in the part stores. None of it is too hard to replace. I'd recommend getting the lock plate puller. It will make life alot easier. Picked mine up at Sears.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've seen millions (ok maybe 10-20 lol) of those turn signal switches with a broken spring in them. If anything breaks on one of these switches related to the canceling cam, I'd suspect those springs first off. Pretty easy to check IIRC, as long as you have a steering wheel puller and the lock plate compressor, which you'll need anyways.